[3830] WPX SSB NE5LL(N1CC) SO(A)AB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jimlaporta@jlaporta.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB NE5LL(N1CC) SO(A)AB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2015 22:21:52 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: NE5LL
Operator(s): N1CC
Station: N1CC

Class: SO(A)AB LP
QTH: Texas

  160:    0

Club: North Texas Contest Club

Comments:

Station:  Elecraft K3/100 @100W to F-12 C3 at 64', 80/40M Fan Dipoles at 50' one
N-S and the other E-W.  WriteLog Version 11.22G (Sep 2014)

An eventful weekend.  The Solar events and conditions turned 20-Meters into
40-Meter-like conditions for both days.  15 and 10 were marginal.  On the other
end, no signals were found on 160M - even "local" stations.  80 Meters
was 2 stations in Africa, three in the Gulf of Mexico and the rest stateside.
40 Meters was better, some JA and Pacific, less than 10 EU stations.

Sunday's 1545Z Solar event completed the disruption, some conditions returned
to "near-normal" for the middle latitudes by 1850Z ... the damage was
done.

Radio conditions ran amok, resulting in severe overcrowding on 20 Meters and
some poor behavior from some of the testosterone multi folks, such as IZ0, OH6,
IB1, KG1, WS7, EI7, CS2 as the worst of the splatter and moving too close to
other stations, that I verified could hear me when I challenged them ... two of
these big guns were 40 Over 9 and moved to within 100 Hz of my running
frequency, and a low power guy is just stuck to move ... I did have my say to
these offenders, and they should all get DQRM awards for this one!

More Fun!  The K3 developed a repeated "ERR KEY" alarm and locked up.
 The fifth time it did I gave up on trying to find the problem, downloaded all
new firmware and installed (About an hour out of action) and then discovered
that WriteLog sometimes will take a function key on SSB mode and try to
transmit the message, even though you are not using the computer to do that.
So cured that by locking WriteLog Port to not allow it to issue a RTS command
... the combo fixed the problem, radio worked and also somewhat better in all
respects after the firmware update!  (Lesson Learned!)

In the end, 4-hours less time on the air, poor conditions and 200 QSO/129 Mults
less resulted in about half last year's score.  Fun, work and may be a sign of
conditions for the next few years.