[3830] CQWW CW ES5G(WS4T) SOSB/15 QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, garyhess999@hotmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW ES5G(WS4T) SOSB/15 QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2014 18:04:52 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: ES5G
Operator(s): WS4T
Station: ES5TV

Class: SOSB/15 QRP
QTH: Jogeva

   15:  641    36      111
   10:
------------------------------

I had a fantastic opportunity to try out 15M QRP with ES5TV's 40-element 15
meter H-frame yagi (8 x 5 elements on an 80 meter high tower; pics here:
http://pontu.eenet.ee/es5tv/). In addition to the H-frame, I also had access to
fixed yagis for NA, JA and EU. It's a fabulous setup and I totally enjoyed it!

The big question before the contest was whether it would be possible to run
with 5 W and the H-frame. Unfortunately, my answer is no. I couldn't hold a
frequency on 15M for long enough because the competition in Europe is simply
too intense.

But it was wonderful to search and pounce with this set of antennas. I saved
the big H-frame for especially large pile-ups and I was able to break most of
them with my 5 watts. It always made such a big difference to rotate the
H-frame the final 15 or 20 degrees towards the DX station.

I had expected to work more countries, but there were only a few more that I
heard but couldn't work, such as XE, KL7, JW and 6W. KL7 was especially tough
because I had worked KL3WY a week before in LZ DX and I even found him calling
CQ during CQ WW with no answers. I tried for about 15 minutes but he never
heard me and finally went QRT or QSYed.