[3830] NAQP CW K3KU Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, artboyars@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW K3KU Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2014 02:47:24 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, CW - August

Call: K3KU
Operator(s): K3KU
Station: K3KU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MD

  160:   55    21
   80:   84    30
   40:   47    26
   20:   42    17
   15:    1     1
   10:    1     1
-------------------
Total:  230    96  Total Score = 22,080

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team: PVRC Central 2

Comments:

My usual last-four-hours for August NAQP.  Even at 10PM local I start with the
high bands to get the "easy" mults.  I'm "temporarily"
using an external manual tuner for 80M - 10M and a separate external matching
network for 160M.  A band change takes a minute or two on the upper bands;
moving to/from 160M takes about 5 minutes.  The result of all that was these
major segments:start with 41 minutes 20M (stayed a little too long); move down
to 40M for 46 QSOs in 32 minutes (probably my best rate ever); a quick hop to
20M (bad move -- 3 QSOs, no mults); jump to 160M for my only session there (64
minutes; again, stayed too long, but two new mults in last three minutes);
finish with 79 minutes on 80M (QRM on 80M worse than on 160M(!); quick listens
to 40M -- and even 20M -- gave no reason to QSY).

All in all, lots of fun in four hours.  Several clock minutes with three QSOs.
My staying too long on 20M and 160M was because it was so much fun! I have to
keep reminding myself that good rates for SS (oh, that I should be able to
sustain 60/hour) are not so good for NAQP.

I think SS takes more skill for mid-to-high results.  In NAQP you know a lot of
the exchanges as soon as you have the call, even w/o a database or SCP.  Second
QSOs are dead easy.  From one CQ I got a mess of QRM and QRN: #$%^# ah-di-dit
dit  di-dah.  That's all I needed; N8EA is in the log, and the computer fills
in the exchange from our previous QSO.  Oh, well.  Different strokes, or
Baskin-Robbins would sell only vanilla.