[3830] NAQP CW N9RV Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW N9RV Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 17:48:04 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: N9RV
Operator(s): N9RV
Station: N9RV

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MT
Operating Time (hrs): 8.5
Radios: SO2R

  160:  142    40
   80:  331    48
   40:  323    46
   20:  123    35
   15:  294    46
   10:  241    42
-------------------
Total: 1454   257  Total Score = 373,678

Club:

Team: Ad Hoc

Comments:

Contest started with no wind at all.  Great conditions for us here on 10/15.
Was about done with 10 for serious time, took my first break.  Right at the end
of the break the wind went up to 50 MPH just like that.  My big tower has 4
yagis with 48 foot booms on it, and it rotates, which puts all that torque on
the rotor.  When its windy I can bolt it down, fixed SE.  So I ran outside and
bolted it down in the gale.

Started operating again, but there was big precip static.  But my Hi-Z
verticals worked OK for receive.  The power went out around 2130?  I was pretty
proud of myself for finally having the (now Linux) computer on a UPS (note to
self -- put the monitor on the UPS too!) so I could do an orderly shutdown.

Went outside, got the tractor out, carried the generator to the spot where I
back feed my panel (yeah, I know this is ugly), got it all going.  By that time
another half hour had easily elapsed, so I was ready to go on the air again.
Except that my YCCC SO2R box had evidently gotten damaged by the power on/off
cycles that accompanied the power cut.  TR Log would tell it to send CW, and it
would comply -- at about 0.5 WPM.  Weird.

So I spent some time recabling and hooking back up my DOS computer and the old
faithful DX Doubler box.  Except that it wouldn't send CW (duh - forgot to hook
up the CW key jacks!).  I really wanted to run some 20 meters because I have put
up a new 4 el yagi to give me coverage of W6 and this was its first test.  So I
hooked up a CW paddle to one of the rigs and just ran for a while -- maybe 40
Q's or so -- sending my hand and typing into a fresh copy of TR log with the
other (not too much danger of dupes since before the power cut was mostly
10/15).

All the while my UPS is complaining because the generator voltage isn't high
enough (I am guessing).  At some point the computer just goes out -- just like
that.  I am not feeling very good about this -- last time this particular
computer lost power it ate the log.  And that's what it did this time, too.  At
least it wasn't the whole log -- only the few Q's I had made.  So the score
shown doesn't include the operating time or the Q's for that stretch.

Started drinking a beer and watching football when the power finally came back
on.  By that time I remembered to plug in the key jacks and started yet again
with a fresh log.  This was around 0030 UTC.  Now everything was working and I
operated the rest of the contest.

End result was surprisingly good on Q's, but not so good on the mult!  Hard to
be motivated there.  Things were really set to have a great mult in this one.
All VE provinces heard.  Delaware was hurting because N8NA is in Michigan
visiting his folks, never heard that one.  With a little less bedlam and chaos
it would have been fun to really buckle down and move guys around to make it a
contest to remember.  I will remember this one, but for a different reason!

Nice scores out there.

CALLSIGN: N9RV
CONTEST: NAQP-CW
CATEGORY: SINGLE-OP ALL LOW CW
OPERATORS: N9RV

-------------- Q S O   R a t e   S u m m a r y ---------------------
Hour     160     80     40     20     15     10    Rate Total    Pct
1800       0      0      0      0     32    172    204    204   14.0
1900       0      0      0      0    150     35    185    389   26.8
2000       0      0      0      0     42     34     76    465   32.0
2100       0      0      0     26     70      0     96    561   38.6
2200       0      0      0      0      0      0      0    561   38.6
2300       0      0      0      0      0      0      0    561   38.6
0000       0      0     19     80      0      0     99    660   45.4
0100       0     11    176     17      0      0    204    864   59.4
0200       2     52    127      0      0      0    181   1045   71.9
0300      26    147      0      0      0      0    173   1218   83.8
0400      52     61      1      0      0      0    114   1332   91.6
0500      62     60      0      0      0      0    122   1454  100.0
Total    142    331    323    123    294    241   1454

Gross QSOs=1457        Dupes=3        Net QSOs=1454

Unique callsigns worked = 784

The best 60 minute rate was 213/hour from 0111 to 0210
The best 30 minute rate was 220/hour from 1804 to 1833
The best 10 minute rate was 246/hour from 0111 to 0120

The best 1 minute rates were:
 6 QSOs/minute    3 times.
 5 QSOs/minute   28 times.
 4 QSOs/minute  121 times.