[3830] ARRL 160 WF7T M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, brad.wf7t@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 WF7T M/S LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2013 05:21:42 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: WF7T
Operator(s): WF7T
Station: WF7T

Class: M/S LP
QTH: TN

Total:  QSOs = 500  Sections = 77  Countries = 7  Total Score = 78,617

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

I could not make this a serious effort (station in a shambles, post-PJ4
depression due to the cold WX and lack of snorkeling, other duties as assigned)
but I wanted to get on and play a little bit during the week-end. Thanks to
everyone for the contacts.

It seemed a bit noisy due to the sleet/rain, but in between times the band
sounded really strong to EU during their sunrise. UA2 just booming in at times
(but no joy, they were pouncing and so was I). Alas, no RX antenna here yet; I
tried a BOG during the pre-stew but had limited success. I am rethinking the
preamp. I may try putting up a single wire K9AY or EWE-ish thing. I appreciate
any ideas one may have for a small garden/yard with an overhead power-feed
bisecting the space. I really really want to work KH6 someday! I was even
running the RBN looking for the Pacific (hence the multi-single entry.)

That said, 160M sure is awesome. There were a few moments during the contest
where the band was quiet and smooth like glass and it sounded like you could
hear all around the world.

Then a lightning crash would bring me back to reality.

73 Brad WF7T
Nashville, TN

---

IC-7600@100W, 40' Marconi w/100' top-hat over 2500' radials, voltage-fed at the
base, N1MM and the SO2R+ box doing the logging and keying.

(Of course I had the ACG off, riding the RF gain like the Silver Surfer.)