[3830] CQWW CW K5GN(@W5KU) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K5GN(@W5KU) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 06:59:42 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K5GN
Operator(s): K5GN
Station: W5KU

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: STX
Operating Time (hrs): 46
Radios: SO2R

  160:   99    18       42
   80:  211    27       75
   40: 1064    31      101
   20:  625    35      105
   15: 1006    37      116
   10: 1059    31      107
------------------------------

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

One of the most interesting things to do is to look at the reports on the
3830scores site and realize that people made thousands of QSOs and after 46
hours on the air I never heard them.  What a contest!

Really some of the best conditions in memory. There were moments when it was
like the old AEA Doctor DX program.  Just go to any band and there are guys
ready to call you.  Amazing.

The good news: Centerpoint Energy found the source of the S9 noise to the SW
which was S5 on 10m! The bad news: since last weekend now there is S7 noise to
the NE on 10 (S4 on 15 and 20).  Nuts.  You do what you can.  I thought 10m was
not really open well on Saturday morning until I figured out (late) that it was
line noise, not the band.  Duh.

Also something has gone south in the beverage switching arrangement - no
beverages on 40m.  Otherwise, everything worked, including improved scripts for
SO2R with Win-Test.

Slept 90 minutes, off the air from 0905 to 1045Z the second night.  Just
couldn't keep going.  Nap on Friday afternoon was interrupted by a stupid
rooster crowing incessantly outside the shack window.  Must kill rooster.

Six-banders this time:  9A1A, D4C, DF0HQ, DR1A, HA30S, HC1WDT, LZ9W, NH2T,
PI4CC, PJ2T, VE7UF.  Lots of 5-banders.  almost 3000 of the 4000 QSOs were with
stations only worked once.  Wow.

SO2R was full-time about 40 of the 46 hours.  Just couldn't do much during the
morning European runs having to concentrate through the line noise with both
ears, and as usual during the time on 160 and 80 with the local weather QRN.
Much less QRN Saturday.  Summertime noise level on Friday with a line of
thunderstorms within one hop from a cold front.

Improved on my best hour ever from Texas, 182.  It would have been higher but
for someone moving in with high phase noise well off his CW note and the
tendency for the cluster users to be zero beat.

I finished the contest wanting to keep going or at least do it again in a
couple of weeks.

Best DX was S21 on 20m LP. First S2 ever worked for me, I think.  One JA called
in on LP through the Europeans.

CU next time!