[3830] SS SSB NK8Q(@W3YA) Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, NK8Q@amsat.org
Subject: [3830] SS SSB NK8Q(@W3YA) Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 00:56:08 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: NK8Q
Operator(s): NK8Q
Station: W3YA

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: WPA
Operating Time (hrs): 22.5
Radios: SO2R

I started a little late but figured I had plenty of time.  Somehow I ran a bit
short of time by about 1 hour.  I started to pack up with about 1/2 hour left.
Pleased overall with a higher score than last year except I missed the clean
sweep (PR) this year again.  Last year was the only time I've ever had a clean
sweep (QRP or otherwise).  Many times I was complimented on a good signal for
QRP, sometimes not.  I thank all those who had a hard time hearing me and
pulling me through.  They usually thanked me for my patience while I feel it
should be the other way around!  I operated from the club station of the
Nittany ARC at 2200' ASL on top of a ridge with 4-element yagi antennas on top
of 60' and 80' towers as well as dipoles for 40/80m.  I think the dipoles,
especially for 75m, worked better last year than this year.  It was nice to get
several QSOs on 10m and both 20 and 15 did very well for me this year.  I took
my own radios along, an Elecraft K2 and a Yaesu FT-100 (set at 5W output) and
operated SO2R for the second time ever (PA QSO Party a month earlier was the
first).  SO2R takes a bit of getting used to and I'm still learning how to best
manage that.  I should have called CQ more (I tell myself that EVERY time!),
especially on 40/80m I think but even on 20/15/10m.  N1MM Logger continues to
hone my contest skills and helps make things so much more efficient in the
contesting tasks.  I have a bit of hardware to develop yet to better operate
the SO2R as I only used the FT-100 connected via USB for logging purposes and
used the hand microphone, so for the next contest I plan to have a switch-box
connected so that I can use the same Heil headset for both radios.  I was
surprised to hear "Thanks for WPA" from several stations!  Well, I
was glad to operate and look forward to it again next year, God willing!