[3830] KsQP N8II Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N8II@aol.com
Subject: [3830] KsQP N8II Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 19:48:21 +0000
                    Kansas QSO Party

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): 16.4

   80:    7      1
   40:   58     15
   20:  215    161
   15:   17     13
   10:    1      1
----------------------------
Total:  298    191      0  Mults = 104  Total Score = 132,804

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

What a well organized turnout from a relatively low population state. Trying to
mentally sort all of those similar 1X1 calls was a challenge and led to some
interesting coincidences like when I moved N0S to 21340 and K0S was running
there. They started up a conversation after everybody was logged. Also W0N
moved in on N0W/M's frequency on 20 phone which caused some confusion.

Saturday was a bit of mayhem, especially when the OQP started and they were
loud on 20 via Es. If I was working the OQP, I never would have had such good
luck which turned into bad luck for the KQP. The opening to OH finally died out
after about 2 hours but navigating around the OH guys on 20 still slowed things
down to say nothing of 40 and 80 once they opened.

It was almost entirely a S&P contest for me with only about 4-5 stations
answering CQ's and no luck trying to stir up badly lacking activity on 15. 15
was wide open to KS during the Es opening and I moved K0N up to 10 who was S9+
on both modes. A lot of potential QSO's were left on the table while almost
everyone stayed on 20 and 40. 20 went long to eastern KS here around 2345Z and
opened again around 0115Z with little activity.

Suggest a secondary 75 meter frequency of 3740 to avoid OQP QRM. What little
activity there was on 40 phone was pretty much in the clear above the OQP
crowd.
Sunday was much more orderly with the mobiles pretty much sticking to their
assigned spots on CW. It was a wear out the VFO type of event picking off what
I could on 40 CW during the day and filtering out all of the QRM on 20. After
the first hour on Sunday 40 was almost dead to KS the rest of the day with 15
opening best around 1445-1515Z when few showed up there making it a single band
event from here. It was pretty tediuos and tiring at times. I missed W0BH on
Saturday in Sheridan county which turned out to be the downfall of a sweep. I
started Sunday needing less than 15 counties and all showed up except Sheridan
working Ottawa with Bob, K0A with 20 minutes to go.

Many many thanks to all of the mobiles who put in long lonely miles and
especially to Bob, W0BH who was K0A along with his drivers N0P and K0Y, K0O and
Jerry K5YAA who was W0L who kept moving virtually the entire 18 hours! You made
it worth sticking around on the radio! By QSO totals thanks to: K0A 67/N0P 27/
W0Y 19, W0L 46, N0R 36, N0K 32, K0O 31 in 31 COUNTIES all phone, N0A 27, W0O
23, W0E 18, W0U 18, N0W 17, N0U 15, W0W 11, N0Y 6, W0R 6.

Almost all of the 1x1 calls were logged and KS0KS was found on 40 and 20 phone
for the bonus.

No amp was running here, but I may have been slightly over 100W a couple of
times, so am entering HP.

Congrats again to the organizers, a really good job putting all of the counties
on the air and very few were logged with only one station.

Congrats to John, N6MU for what appears to be the only sweep which took a lot
of patience and persistence especially with only a vertical antenna.

73, Jeff N8II