[3830] WPX CW KU6W(@K9YC) M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW KU6W(@K9YC) M/2 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 10:11:40 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: KU6W
Operator(s): K9YC W6GJB
Station: K9YC

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: CA-SCV

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

This was a lightweight M/2 effort, with both of us getting fairly decent sleep
and W6GJB taking time off with his XYL.  We really could have used at least two
more operators! We chose M/2 to provide maximum flexibility of operating time
and putting the most points on the board for NCCC.

As anyone who was active knows, conditions were really stinko, especially for
the first half of the contest, improving only slightly for the second half. 10M
didn't open at all until Sunday afternoon, and even then signals were weak, with
only the biggest SA and ZL stations getting through. The propagation highlight
for us was the opening to northern EU Saturday night, which produced about 50Qs
and 40 mults and lasted more than 90 minutes. Both mornings to EU could only be
described as pitiful -- Saturday morning was almost nothing, Sunday only
slightly better. Without that Saturday evening opening, we would have had fewer
than a dozen Qs fro zones 14 and 15.

On the positive side, I was really pleased with the station -- two K3s w/P3s,
Titan 425 power amps, Elecraft KAT500 tuners, the antenna farm and switching.
Everything worked, nothing got in the way. The station is now pretty
comfortable for M/2 on CW and RTTY, with the two operators sitting next to each
other but not cramped. For SSB, one of the stations needs to be on the deck
outside so that we have acoustic isolation, which we did for WPX SSB.

As to JAs -- N1MM Logger says we worked 57 Zone 25 on 80M, 96 on 40M, 87 on
20M, 71 on 15M. None on 10M. Never looked at 160M. We might have worked more on
80 and 40 if we had stayed up all night, but we were QRT between 1AM and 5AM
both nights, on the premise that we needed to be there for the morning EU runs
that turned out to be pretty poor. OTOH, with 311 JA Qs, I think we got about
all the mults we could expect from them.

Thanks for all the Qs.

73, Jim K9YC