[3830] CQWW CW 9M2CNC(G4ZFE) SOSB/15 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, g4zfe@g4zfe.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW 9M2CNC(G4ZFE) SOSB/15 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 21:30:57 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: 9M2CNC
Operator(s): G4ZFE
Station: 9M2CNC

Class: SOSB/15 HP
QTH: OJ03

   15: 2077    37      126
   10:
------------------------------
Total: 2077    37      126  Total Score = 822,172

Radio:          Elecraft K3/100
Amp:            Icom PW-1 (400W output)
Antennas:       Force 12 C3-S at 12m
                Sloping dipole (East for JA/VK/KH6)

I usually operate SOAB HP but Khun Champ E21EIC was in KL and operating the
9M2CCO/CQC mega station. I didn't fancy a head-to-head (I would lose) so I
opted for a SOSB 15m entry. In the end I made a good choice and I had an
enjoyable weekend on the radio.

Saturday was the weaker of the two days. One of my favourite band openings in
9M2 is working the Caribbean on 15m. The Caribbean is far away (PJ2 is 11,155
miles short path) but there's always a good opening around 02:00 local time on
15m after the EU and NA signals have gone. Then the band is quiet and every
station is DX with S9+ signals from the Caribbean during CQWW. This year the
signals were great but I had problems breaking the pileups.
The same path on Sunday was much easier and I was able to work all the
Caribbean stations I could hear! The only getaway from that area was TI5A whose

pileup was always too large for me to be heard :-(

Some interesting NA propagation this year. Short path to W6/W7 showed the
correct beam heading but all my QSOs with the East cost was on a skewed path
(270 degrees instead of 0 degrees). I tried LP (180 degrees) but the
signals were weaker than the skewed path. Anyhow, I worked more W/VE stations
than JA this year! I don't recall that happening before. I had a lovely
W1/2/3/4 opening late on Sunday which was most enjoyable.

Some excellent DX called in including some double mults. I spent a lot of time
mult hunting and it seemed to have paid off and I am pleased with the number of
zones and DXCC that I worked. I missed zones 2, 12 and 34

For my fellow computer geeks I operated the contest using a Windows XP VMware
virtual machine on my company laptop (Win 7 64-bit). This worked mostly OK but
the cursor would occasionally move in the logger entry window. This resulted in
some callsigns being re-ordered, incorrectly keyed and then a frantic edit and
re-send. By this time the other station had corrected their call. This lost
some time and must have caused confusion! Apologies.....

The number of 9M2 entries continues to increase which is good for contesting.

Thank you for all the QSOs. LoTW upload will be done later this week.

73 de Rich, G4ZFE/9M2CNC