[3830] CQWW CW N0HR SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, pat@n0hr.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW N0HR SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 20:48:43 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N0HR
Operator(s): N0HR
Station: N0HR

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: IA

  160:
   80:   52    16       32
   40:  236    29       90
   20:  324    33      103
   15:  409    34      116
   10:  231    28       90
------------------------------

Club: Iowa DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Score down about 10% from last year. Probably lots of reasons. Debated running
low power, but decided to use the amp.

Antenna problems kept me from fully participating in CQWW SSB last month as the
4 element SteppIR was off-line. After several weeks of troubleshooting
determined that the culprit was a MOV in the lightning protection lines for the
controller.

Also decided a few weeks ago to abandon my 80m (wire vertical) and 160m
(inverted L sloping) and put up inverted V dipoles. The result: the 80m version
works ok (more Qs than last year) but the 160 version wouldn't load at all. Ran
out of time to trouble it. The performance on 80m was "ok" - a rx antenna is
needed though.

I find myself checking last year's comment section ahead of the upcoming
contest to recall what worked and what didn't. So, here's my notes for next
year:

1) Preparation.
a) Good sleep the week of the contest.
This year, I missed a lot of QSOs due to sleep. Slept way too much Saturday pm.
Sounds obvious, but if my rump's not in the chair I'm not getting QSOs.  A
somewhat uncomfortable chair doesn't help. Plan on taking a day or two off if
necessary to account for sleep.

b) Test the station early (summer - when antenna work can be done if necessary)
and often. Too many issues that could have been resolved ahead of the contest.

2) Propagation
This year's score was 10% below last year. Part of that is propagation.

3) Execution
a) Run every once and awhile.
I had a nice little run going on 15m this morning into EU. With my station
(single radio, single tower) I'm simply not going to be able to run too often.
However, there will be times when conditions are right and I need to run.

b) Some things working pretty good (don't fix them if they ain't broke)...
* N1MM works with IC-7600 and Win7 IF I don't get fancy and try to bring in the
audio via the USB. Spent too much time in previous contests avoiding crashes.
Not a problem this time.
* The XM-240 is still working well (after KI0Q replaced a reflector "stinger"
that came off last winter).
* SteppIR has been good but having an SWR problem in 180 mode that knocks out
the amp. Maybe an element out of whack; probably need to remove the lightning
box and see if a MOV is out.

4) Station upgrades - wish list
* Antennas: 160m that works and correct any SteppIR issues
* Good chair that can lock in a reclined position
* RX antenna!
* 2nd rig (K3?) and mult antenna

73
N0HR