[3830] CQWW SSB TO9R(S53R) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB TO9R(S53R) SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 06:07:59 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: TO9R
Operator(s): S53R
Station: FM5BH

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Martinique

  160:   48     5       12
   80:  371    17       46
   40: 1009    28       85
   20: 2192    33      104
   15: 1745    32      101
   10: 2290    31       93
------------------------------

Club: Slovenia Contest Club

Comments:

What a change it is operating from this part of the world!! Last contest I did
from South America was in 1995 (4M2BYT) and I've already forgotten how the real
pile-ups in terms of good operating sound. My last three years at ST2AR never
produced any good rates especially on SSB because (1)because of me :) (2) the
closest â??populationâ?? center that generates disorganized pile-ups which are
difficult to manage, and (3) US signals are quite weak considering that the
nearest one is some 10K away. But from FM â?" boy that is something else! When
EU fades away one feels alone with the huge US pile and can run as fast as you
talk with organized, short, punctual replies and a crowd that is real fun to
manage. The rate meter stayed well over 300 for hours on 21/28, with peaks
exceeding 600!! Never happened to me before!

So all in all big big fun! I could have wished for more multipliers on 160 and
80 but with the simple set up on low bands, that was a bit too much to ask for.
On the other hand I also focused on running as the setup is a pure single-radio
one and even moving the multiplier often resulted in loosing the run frequency
within a minute.

The conditions played well for me on Saturday, but papa sun closed 10m very
early on Sunday afternoon, which on the other hand was good coz it forced me to
go to 20 and enjoy a 2-hour EU run with clear, strong signals and a number of
new multipliers.

Last but not least, big thanks to Laurent, FM5BH, for great hospitality and
letting me operate his great station. It only took 34 years from our first QSO
(CQWW SSB 1978) to finally meet in real :)

73 Robert, S53R