[3830] CQWW SSB VE9AA SOSB/10 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB VE9AA SOSB/10 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 16:05:05 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: VE9AA
Operator(s): VE9AA
Station: VE9AA

Class: SOSB/10 HP
QTH: nb
Operating Time (hrs): 22:30

   10: 2159    31      118
------------------------------
Total: 2159    31      118  Total Score = 886,103

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

With an hour to go, I packed it in.  Dark as the inside of a cow here and every
sweep up the band has the same guys. . . hi !

WEll, Murphy found me.  Have some kind of weird SWR cutback feature on SSB that
doesn't appear to be there on CW, thus most of the contest was spent bubbling
along at around 200W. . . .down near 28.300 I could sometimes manage 300-400w
and other times, meter would suddenly burst to 750-800w for no apparent reason.
 The life and times of SSB.

I more than doubled last yrs score, so am pretty pleased about that.

Highlights were some of that super rare Pacific DX calling me.  I was tickled
beyond believe to be called by H44, E51 etc.  Really made my day.

I looked real hard for a zone37 (AF) and spent most of the 2nd evening beamed
right @ WEstern Aus for that elusive VK6/8/9 for zone 29 but never heard one.

Antenna here is a very low 5el yagi @ 24'.  Also, spent much time power
splitting it with a ground plane @ 30', thus I was able to look EU/AF and CARIB
at same time, or EU/USA also. (if you count a ground plane as 'looking' in
another direction.)

MOst ops very well behaved.  I hope I was too.

Thanks for all the calls.

Mike VE9AA
IC-746, MLA2500 idling, N1MM, VK-64 voice keyer.