[3830] WPX SSB K1TO SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k1to@aol.com, fcg@kkn.net
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB K1TO SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 06:27:40 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: K1TO
Operator(s): K1TO
Station: K1TO

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: FL

  160:    0
   80:    0

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Always fun to say hello to friends on SSB.  Enjoyed being called by some neat
DX, especially from Asia and Africa.  I prefer to work JAs on 15 over the 40M
mosh pit, even though 40 is the much better alternative for achieving a high
score.

With Skimmer finding and spotting you instantly on CW, it is interesting to see
how long it takes for a human to spot you on SSB.  The sudden flurry of callers
makes it obvious that you've been spotted, but there were long stretches when I
had no spots at all, as I look back at the data.

The available prefix count apparently has no ceiling.  Pretty soon, every QSO
will be a new multiplier.

Lots of interesting propagation.  Worked 5 continents in one minute on 10M.  FL
had a fair opening to EU on 10M, but the volume just wasn't there, just like in
ARRL SSB.  20M was wide open to everywhere after local midnight.

A line of thunderstorms rolled through in the early morning hours Sunday, so I
disconnected everything once the wall of rain static got over S9.

Heard stations CQing on 7126, 14349 and 21449.  Those freqs are out of the USA
band.  We all need to keep reminding folks of this point.

Looking forward to the Florida QSO Party on April 28-29.  I'll be K4O, one of
15 fixed stations whose suffixes spell out "FLORIDA QSO PARTY" for the 15th
running of the FQP under the Florida Contest Group's sponsorship.

Thanks for the QSOs!

73, Dan