[3830] ARRLDX CW VO1HP SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, fdavis@nfld.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW VO1HP SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 02:41:21 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: VO1HP
Operator(s): VO1HP
Station: VO1HP

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:   35    22
   80:   10    10
   40:    3     2
   20:    6     5
   15:  119    69
   10:   52    30
-------------------
Total:  225   138  Total Score = 93,150

How do you stop a speeding run station dead in its tracks?  I know how....Send
an exchange that doesn't fit!

Almost all my  225 Q's were S&P and it was slow going because my exchange  "NL"
didn't meet the expectations.  Not in all cases but a very high percentage.....
After sending my exchange the typical reply was dead air and then ..."?"
"agn"   "NF?"  "No NL" etc.   Several times in response to "QTH?" I had to
spell out N e w f o u n d l a n d when "Nfld" didn't make any sense to the
listener.

I read the rules in preparation for the event and was surprised to find this:

2012 ARRL DX CW Rules
5.2.2. ......  NL (VO1 â?" see note, LB (VO2 â?" see note) .....  Note â?"
although VO1 and VO2 have been officially merged into a single province, they
are counted separately in this contest for reasons of tradition.

Whats with NL?...I used it because that's what the rules say ....isn't it
usually NF? What does "officially merged into a single province" mean?
Newfoundland island and Labrador territory have been a single political entity
for over 200 years!  The "official" name of the province is "Province of
Newfoundland and Labrador" and has been so since 2001.  The Canada Post
abbreviation for the Province is NL.

I agree with counting each area separately and I think the exchange should
remain "NF" for Nfld Island and "LB" for Labrador.  A separate mult for LB will
continue to encourage operation from that vast territory.

Somebody screwed up here and it isn't me....just following the rules.  Only
heard one other VO1 on and he used NF.  So there is confusion.

I hope the contest chairman will look into this and ensure that both logs will
be viewed as valid.