[3830] TBDC N6WG Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N6WG@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] TBDC N6WG Single Op QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 13:10:45 -0800
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: N6WG
Operator(s): N6WG
Station: N6WG

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Newark CA

Total:  QSOs = 118  Total Score = 1,053

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

I enjoyed this contest, as always.

I made one tactical error, though.  I worked Saturday night to 11 PM, then
quit, figuring to get up Sunday at 3 AM and work the last four hours for more
Qs.  Big mistake.  Saturday night the band was fairly busy with productive Qs.
Sunday morning it was a different band with very weak condx and few customers.
Should have stayed up another hour or two Sat night instead.  Well, that goes
in the NOTES file for next year.

I was surprised at not hearing any KL7, as I usually work them easily.  I
worked three in the half hour before the contest started, then never heard any
of them again.

I did have some luck, though.  Two 36 points Qs with PJ2T and KV4FZ, one 30
pointer with VY2ZM, and three 24 pointers with K9FD/KH6, KH7X and KH6LC.
I'll have to settle for my 1053 points score.  I was hoping to use my QRP x3
multiplier, but I found that N1MM had already factored it into the scoring.
For a little while I thought I had a 3159 score.  Bummer.
The rig here is same as past several years, K3 #811.  This year my new P3
display really helped me find new stations to work, especially weak ones.  I'd
see a pip on the screen, then have to dig around in the noise to find and work
him.  Had to use some very narrow filtering at times to cut through the noise.
I'm using my new 160-80-40m vertical this year.  It is a 60 ft top loaded
vertical of wire strapped to a 60 ft telescoping fiberglas mast, with six 16 ft
top loading wires.  Seems to work ok an all three bands.
I moved my rotating bidirectional receive loop from the front driveway to my
back yard, and it made quite a difference.  Much better null, and lower
resulting noise level.  This year I could hear!  Next step is to bring the
rotating terminated loop to the back yard and see if it will be improved.  Its
null isn't great out front.  Possibly due to the power lines along the street.
Anyway, I had a fine time, and look forward to the CQ 160 next year.
Hope to see you all then.  Happy Holidays and Happy New Year.
73, Bob N6WG
The Little Station with Attitude