[3830] SS SSB N8II Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N8II@AOL.COM
Subject: [3830] SS SSB N8II Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 14:23:50 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: WV

  160:    0

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

That was different, quite a change in condx from even a year ago which
definitely affected band choices and results. Single radio, only 800W max, not
well rested, no 40M beam, not a bad result.

My Saturday to do list on the antennas kept getting longer. Fixed 10M feedline
splice at top of tower and SWR still wash higher than normal. Also puy
finishing touches on stupidest antenna repair in over 40 years of hamming. 2 or
3 hour job turned into over 10 hours of misadventure to fix what turned out to
be cut coax.
The feedline and performance of the sloper did improve. SWR on both of my 40M
wires is now perfect 1:1 in the phone band. Having the sloper was worth a few
Q's and some saved time. I thought I was ready around 1:15 PM, so went out for
lunch and walked K9DOG. I needed to make a slight adjustment on my ladder line
feed tension on 80M only to find one side had scraped the roof to the point it
was completely frayed apart from when it fell lower after the CQWW heavy heavy
snow. Half the antenna worked pretty well in SS CW, Hi! Spliced, soldered and
ready for action at 2015Z, ugh. It's always fun climbing the tower and roof in
same day.

21Z finds me merrily running on a nice clear frequency on 20 as is my custom
until 2130 when the run pretty well completely died. You could tell the serious
contenders were elsewhere by the load of casual guys worked the first 32
minutes. I went up to 10M and was called by AK and Ab, sweet, only to be called
by loud VE8GER at 2150Z, sweeter! The rate held up for about 50 minutes, then on
to 15 for a decent run until 2317, then down to 20 which was my home for much
longer than I imagined until 0128Z. Best rates of SS were the 02 and 03Z hour
each working 132. I made exactly 800 Q's in the first 7 hours, then activity
tailed off and was pretty low by 0545Z. 04Z rate was 71 with 12 minutes off to
eat, etc. When I quit at 0640Z, I had about 975 Q's and 77 sections having to
track down WB1GQR for first VT and section 76. If you don't keep BIC the first
8 hours you are dead meat, it goes without saying.
   Sunday was worse than I had hoped for, too many bands for the casual guys to
choose from to keep them coming by me in a steady stream. Best hour was
predictably 13Z on 40 with 93 Q's, 2nd best 19Z on 20 with 88 Q's. I found
NP2B
on first check of 15 for VI, then about the first signal heard was VO1TA on
attempt to search out NL + PR. PR was by the hair of my chinny chin in 18Z hour
when I heard NP4A calling someone poached him successfully up 3 for the sweep,
whew! Thanks, Pedro. I never heard another PR until a WP4 called me around 24Z
on 40 with his NR 5.

Most common sections worked: VA-94 Q's, MDC-81 (Go PVRC!), IL-83, OH-75, MI-67,
MN-64. Rarest NL-3, NT,VI,SK, and PR all 2 Q's. I made 10 Q's with WV; it does
help to be in a semi-rare section. NE turned out in numbers on phone, CW needs
help out there.
  There was the usual share of poor operating techniques from the contest
unhardened with the newest twist of repeating back my exchange before sending
exchange, please don't do that. Just ask for fills if unsure. Also getting
worse if anything is leading 0's in the NR, this only leads to miss copied
info. Please also don't say "A Alpha" which easily sounds like '8 Alpha" under
poor Rx conditions, just Alpha is much better. Don't get me wrong, please keep
calling even if you are a rookie, the number of guys with less than 100 Q's who
called in were just incredible. There were lots of 10 and 11 checks received, a
healthy sign! Thanks for all of the QSO's and your patience if you had to
wait.

73, Jeff