[3830] CQWW SSB W6PH SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w6ph@aol.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB W6PH SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 11:33:22 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: W6PH
Operator(s): W6PH
Station: W6PH

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Lone Pine CA

  160:    5     3        3
   80:   58    17       29
   40:  214    27       78
   20:  300    30       89
   15:  497    35      105
   10:  700    29       96
------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Equipment:  IC-781 AL-1200  CT9-DOS  (No voice keyer)

Permanent antenna:  A3S at 45 feet (permanent)
Temporary antennas:
AB-577 #1 40-2CD with 10m 3el yagi on single boom, 80m sloper
AB-577 #2 20m 3el yagi, 80m sloper
AB-577 #3 15m 5el yagi (N8SM design)
MA-160V

Band notes:
160m No activity to speak of.  Just grabbed a couple contacts for mults.
80m  Sounded like 160m last year.  Only Caribbean and Pacific worked.
40m  Signals weaker than last year.  A lot of stations crowded into the US
phone segment and fewer split contacts.  Fewer JA stations worked.
20m  Great polar path into central Asia at night with lots of loud signals.
Less crowded because of the great conditions on 15 and 10.
15m  Just a great band.  Opened early to Europe and stayed open until 02 UTC.
10m  Stations all the way to 29 MHz.  I didn't hear any zone 16 nor LA-SM-OH.
The band conditons were better the week before. I finally got to use a monoband
yagi after it had been on the ground for the last 10 years.

I missed a DXCC on 10m due to the lack of northern Europe propagation.  But I
almost got WAS from all the US stations that answered my CQs on 10 meters.

All my monobanders were on the ground after being used at the K6Z CQP location.
 I put them back together on Monday and raised them on Tuesday which turned out
to be a good decision as it was very windy on Wednesday and Thursday, the days
that I usually raise them.  The other days were spent putting out the feed
lines and setting up the station.  I couldn't get an outboard voice keyer
working on Friday, so all transmissions were live.  That lowered my incentive
to call CQ.  I will lower the antennas after SS CW next weekend.

There is a lot of satisfaction in putting together a station myself and
operating it.  My plan was to have an enjoyable weekend and that was
accomplished.  I am looking forward to the CW weekend.

                      73, Kurt, W6PH