[3830] CQWW VHF K8MR Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jimk8mr@aol.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW VHF K8MR Rover LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 07:30:49 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest

Call: K8MR
Operator(s): K8MR
Station: K8MR

Class: Rover LP
QTH:

    6:  42     17
    2:  24     13
-------------------
Total:  66     30  Total Score = 2,700

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

This was a low key rover operation, made easy by having only two bands requiring
a single radio, my IC-746. I combined the trip with a lunch visit with my mother
in Sharon, PA, and then headed for the grid corner near Butler, PA.

The first stop was in EN90 at the Butler County Fair Grounds. A good high spot,
but with lots of power lines running around, some of which were noisy.

Having not done extensive preparation, I then entered the next stop in FN00
into the GPS. It turns out that the Butler County Airport (which the GPS knew)
is not the same airport as the Butler Farm Show Airport (next to where the
Butler Hamfest is held). So I went an extra 20 minutes out of my way though it
was an OK location. There I was having noise problems. Not sure if it was local
noise, or my computer, but did not do well there.

I had intended to head to the Franklin Airport in FN01, but it was obvious that
conditions were not exciting and activity low, so instead when I found a decent
spot along PA308, I stopped and set up there for my FN01 time. Worked OK, but
activity was poor.

I had considered going to EN92, but decided that the contest activity did not
warrant the extra hundred miles of driving.

Sunday morning I set up in my driveway to check out things. Then took it down,
and missed the hour of good conditions reported at the end.

I did get some experience from the effort, and may try it again during a future
ARRL test with more bands.

73  -  Jim  K8MR