[3830] FlQP KC4HW SO MobileMixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kc4hw@centurytel.net
Subject: [3830] FlQP KC4HW SO MobileMixed LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 19:54:16 -0700
                    Florida QSO Party

Call: KC4HW
Operator(s): KC4HW
Station: KC4HW

Class: SO MobileMixed LP
QTH: FL

   40:          43
--------------------
Total:  561     43  CW Mults = 59  Ph Mults = 14  Total Score = 85,045

Club: Alabama Contest Group

Comments:

First of all thanks to all for the QSOs!

No Driver.  Covered 11 counties in the Big Bend area and the Panhandle.

Saturday: GAD, LIB, CAH, BAY and WAG.
Sunday: ESC, SAN, OKA, WAL, JAC and HOL.

Worked 39 states, including HI on CW and 13 on PH.  13 DX countries.  All total
worked 43 DX stations.  Worked 7 VE provinces.  Additionally worked 12 Florida
counties mostly on Sunday morning on 40 PH, but a few on CW.

Operating time was around 11 hours.  Total driving and operating was about 21
hours.  Total miles 474.  Gas was $3.89.9 to $4.029.

The mobile station worked pretty good.  I thought that I could have gotten more
PH contact on Sunday morning, but 40m when away after about 9AM.  Actually had
planned to operate mixed in many of the counties.  I have resurrected a
ATAS-100 and it seemed to work fine on Friday.  Saturday was a total different
story and it would not find a resonant freq anywhere.  So I abandoned it for
the remainder of the contest.  I used my 40m Hustler on PH and the 20m Hustler
on CW that way I did not have to do any tuning on the antenna.  So it was a
limited Mixed operation at best.

The 706MKII worked very well.  I drove the old 99 Chevrolet Pickup with 273k
miles and it was quite as a mouse!  I had a little RF get into the microkeyer
but once I relocated it there were not further problems--I really think it was
an old connector, I will redo them before the AlQP.  Funny, when I first
discovered the RF issue, the keyer was sending just the opposite of the letter.
 For K it was send .-. and for C it was sending .-.-  it was strange, but moving
things around solved the problem.

The pileups were great.  Thanks to everyone for the QSOs.

Hope to hear everyone in the Alabama QSO Party coming up Jun 4th.  See
http://www.alabamaqsoparty.org for rules and details.

Thanks

Jim/KC4HW