[3830] WPX SSB N8II SOSB10 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N8II@AOL.COM
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB N8II SOSB10 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 13:40:33 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SOSB10 HP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs):

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Congratulations to Chuck, KZ5MM (W5PR) for a great effort on 10! I worked him
early on and was way behind, so sort of backed off pushing for every QSO after
that. My main goal was to enjoy the contest which I did. More EU would have
been nicer, but following the changes from hour to hour in propagation was
interesting. I was at work when the contest started and the band was dead here
by 0130Z, so worked a few on 20, condx there seemed near normal, but not much
volume from Asia.
  My first 10M QSO was LU1UM at 1315Z, and it was intertesting to note that was
Chuck's too. Southern LU apparently has a MUF edge. Not until around 1405 when a
PY2 was worked did the band really open to Brazil. At 1439Z, IO4 was worked on a
skew path around 130 deg and was heard many times thereafter. My first ZS was
1537, follwed by EA8 at 1542. First Caribbean was Tom, 8P5A at 1542Z.
The whole contest, I worked no more than 15 Europeans the whole contest about
1/3 on skewed path. At 1729 Sat, I worked AC6, but couldn't run anyone until a
W7 at 1748Z. A good west coast run with generally strong signals followed until
a N6 at 1843. FO5 called in. The rest of Saturday was endless S&P with little
runs to the south only. At 2310 after a 45 minute break, the band was wide open
to VK/ZL and CA/AZ/NV. Sunday the band opened to the Mediterranean area and west
coast simultaneously at 1735Z. I ran the west coast including OR, WA, and BC
until they slowed down to a crawl, then tried EU with only about 2-3 answers to
CQ's, but continued S&P'ing northern AF (5D and 5C were 20 db over S9) and EU. I
made my last EU QSO with CT4 at 2041Z, very late!
  Thanks for all of the Q's, lot's of casual ops from out west and hope to hear
from my EU friends on 10M next year.

73, Jeff