[3830] WPX SSB KI1G SO(A)AB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ki1g@verizon.net
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB KI1G SO(A)AB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 05:09:57 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: KI1G
Operator(s): KI1G
Station: KI1G

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: RI
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R

  160:    6
   15: 1477

Club: CT RI Contest Group

Comments:

It's great to finally start having some openings on the higher bands, but it
makes the tradeoff choices with the 6 pointers on the low bands more complex.

Nice to hear all of the JA activity as well as a variety of good DX. I dont
know that I have ever worked 3 different KH2's in the same weekend before and
the long path openings to YB and HS on 15 meters are back with a vengence.

CQ should consider swapping the dates for the SSB and CW weekends, it is a
shame to waste such good conditions on an SSB contest. I am not sure if SSB
contests bring out the worst in operators or if it just brings out the worst
operators.

How much room is adequate to give an adjacent station? Some stations have the
expectation that they are going to get 5 Khz, my answer to that is that it is
probably time to get a radio with better selectivity. Other stations move in
just about on top of you and when you ask them to move they tell you NO and
suggest that you move. However when the deed is returned at a later time, the
whining is remarkable.

I finally got used to the callsigns with extra numbers in them such as
HG2011XXX and now the VK's are throwing # X 4 calls into the mix, the first few
were a bit challanging to copy correctly.

This was my first serious SSB effort since the restructuring of the 40 and 80
meters SSB bands, it was nice to run Europe on the same frequency below 3700,
but the lack of split operations on 40 really made for a mess between 7125 and
7200.

Congrats to all on some really great scores this weekend.

73,
Rick KI1G