[3830] WPX SSB WU3A(W3UA) SOSB40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w3ua@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB WU3A(W3UA) SOSB40 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 17:30:05 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: WU3A
Operator(s): W3UA
Station: W3UA

Class: SOSB40 HP
QTH: NH

   40: 1508

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Two factors made impossible for me to take part in this contest in my beloved
"Assisted Living" category -- unbearable noise rendering the high bands totally
unusable, and certain unavoidable family needs, which blocked my daylight hours.
So I decided on a night band -- 40 meters -- and I glad I did! Several firsts --
first "spotless" contest in many years... I decided to try it an "good old way"
-- and I should tell -- it was fun. Since I could hold my frequency all the
time, and with virtually unlimited supply of multipliers, there were absolutely
no reason to seek for QSOs in S&P. I made less than 20 Qs searching -- and it
was fun without a backup -- just like old good times.

Overall, I had a lot of fun... well forgotten feeling. Splatter level on 40 was
so high, it completely covered the power line noise -- and thus I was on the par
with other guys. I didn't do split at all -- expansion of the 40 meter phone
band for both us and the rest of the world made split absolutely unnecessary.

Now I can only hope National Grid fixes the power line before the WPX CW, and I
get back to my Bandmap and skimmer... No matter what, I like spots ;)