[3830] NA Sprint RTTY W0YK HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint RTTY W0YK HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 20:19:16 -0800
                    NA Sprint RTTY Contest - March

Call: W0YK
Operator(s): W0YK
Station: W0YK

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 4
Radios: SO2R

   80:   46     1.5
   40:  105     4.0
   20:   88     2.5
---------------------

Club: Loma Prieta Contest Club

Team: NCCC #1

Comments:

Thanks for the QSOs!  Seemed like pretty good participation, but I still spent a
lot time CQing.  All three bands had good propagation all over NA.  My mults are
way down.  Only ones I missed that I heard were KY and PR.

Wasn't sure I would be able to operate this one.  In the past two weeks all of
my low-band antennas failed in one way or another.  The winter winds took their
toll.  One loading coil on the 80m dipole was damaged with all the insulated
spacers destroyed and turns shorting out.  Fortunately, the weather today was
beautiful with light wind so I was able to gingerly space the windings in a
temporary fashion in lieu of making a new coil later.  The 40m Yagi was much
worse with a loading wire broken and shorting out on the element.  It is 12'
out from the tower and I didn't have time to tram off the other Yagis so it
could be taken down and repaired.  So, I pushed a 12' piece of PVC under the
wire to hold it off the element and then taped the PVC to the second driven
element on the 20m Yagi for the evening.  What a Rube Goldberg solution!  But,
it got me through the contest with an antenna tuner keeping the amp happy on
40.

Enjoyed half a bottle of our Rose of Pinot Noir while working you all.  ;>)
There were two full teams (the "regulars": SWACC and NCCC) plus four partial
teams registered.  Remember logs are due in seven days and preliminary results
will be ont he NCJ website 14 days from now.  Final results in the May-June
NCJ.

Ed - W0YK