[3830] ARRLDX SSB VE7CC(@VE7SV) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve7cc@shaw.ca
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB VE7CC(@VE7SV) SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 13:45:39 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: VE7CC
Operator(s): VE7CC
Station: VE7SV

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: BC
Operating Time (hrs): 41
Radios: SO2R

  160:    3     3
   80:   76    40
   40:  249    65
   20:  604    95
   15:  716    94
   10:  108    35
-------------------
Total: 1756   332  Total Score = 1,748,976

Club: British Columbia DX Club

Comments:

Great to see the higher bands coming to life.  Good openings to Europe on 15.
Heard ED5T on 10 via skewed path, but he could not hear me.  He was the only
European heard on that band.  Had a bit of an opening on 10 to JA which was
nice.

20 was good when it was open, but at times few stations to work as many were on
15 and 10.

The conditions on 160 were the worst I have ever heard during a contest.  I
kept checking the band and only worked KH6, KL7 and finally KV4FZ after many,
any calls.  I did not call anyone else as I could not hear anyone else other
than USA/VE stations.  80 was a bit better, but conditions were still way down
from normal.

40 was very difficult. Weak signals and lots of QRM.  I tried running JAs on
7120 but many times I had a run of USA stations instead.  All zero points and
out of band.  I heard a Caribbean station on 7126 but could not break the USA
pileup!  Surprised to work 62 VKs on 40.  Took my 7 hours off time during the
night rather than fight it out to JA etc on 40.

Next time I should program one of the voice keyer messages with "What's your
call".  Many stations didn't give their calls for long periods of time.  They
just said QRZ?  Sometimes I called and got through and asked them, only to find
they were dupes.  Other times they would come back with "QSO before".  Other
times I just gave up and moved on without finding out their call.  A waste of
time for everyone.

Lee