[3830] ARRLDX SSB NN1ZZ(@K1IR) M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB NN1ZZ(@K1IR) M/S HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 06:28:56 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: NN1ZZ
Operator(s): W1VE K1IR
Station: K1IR

Class: M/S HP
QTH: MA

  160:    0     0
   80:    9     9
   40:  288    72
   20:  419    86
   15:  473    86
   10:  102    50
-------------------
Total: 1291   303  Total Score = 1,168,974

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Contemplated phonetic: "Nine Nine 1 Zero Zero"; however, upon reflection, "Nancy
Nancy 1 Zulu Zulu" would cause less confusion.

I think it was Thursday night when I proposed to Jim that we put his station on
for the 'SSB test...  Now, Jim has been very QRL with work, and the station had
not been looked at in a LONG time.

I said "no matter, we will go with whatever works and have some fun!".     I
also had commitments Friday and did not arrive at Jim's till 0430Z.

All of the rotatable Yagis had non-functioning rotators.   Thank goodness, they
were either fixed on Africa, Europe or South America.

We thought the 80m 4-sq was broken, and the base was buried under a couple of
feet of snow and ice, so we never tried it Friday.  160 was completely dead.

Saturday, we took some time to do diagnosis on the 80m antennas.   No matter
what we did, we could not even hear static on the radio... We messed with many
coax jumpers... And finally realized that someone had left the K3 Beverage
switch on on 80m!!!
It looked like it was actually going to work.   The low QSO count reflects the
fact that something died a few minutes into an 80m run.

I had some great fun running on 40, 20,15 and a bit on 10.   It was great to
work a few Asians on 20 and 15, as well as a JA on 40, since none of the
antennas were pointed that way.

I received a lot of nice complements on the call -- the funniest one being
"that's a LONG call, but I LIKE IT!"

As always, Jim and family were great hosts and we all had a great time.

(When we got bored of radio, Jim and I rooted my Nook Color eBook reader and
installed Android 2.3.3 on it.   It's an incredible 7" android tablet for
$250.)

It was very nice to see all the activity on Getscores -- I believe we had our
1st JA reporting scores!

73, Gerry W1VE