[3830] ARRLDX SSB W4LT SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w4lt@Ij.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB W4LT SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 16:42:33 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: W4LT
Operator(s): W4LT
Station: W4LT

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: Tampa, FL
Operating Time (hrs): 12.22

  160:    0      0
   80:   40     32
   40:  103    306
   20:  188    564
   15:  203    609
   10:   77     25
-------------------
Total:  611   1830  Total Score = 442,860

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Rig : Elecraft K3/100/KRX3 - Ameritron ALS600 @ 500w Max
Antennas : Cushcraft A3S at 40ft, Carolina Windom 80LP at 38ft
Soapbox :
Returned from Pittsburgh late Thursday after being away a week for a family
funeral.  Lots of stuff to do, pool needs work after being on its own for a
week, with the oak trees feeding the algea with their pollen.  My that algea is
hungry  :)  Several activities like Moving my daughter to her new apartment,
washing clothes/dishes and rebuilding a computer for the local repeater group
during this contest.   So most definately part time... Got somewhere around 11
hours in, not even in prime time for my antenna complement, but any air time is
good air time.

Terrific conditions!  Wonderful 10 15 and 20 meter conditions which plays to my
station's strengths.  Sunday, 80 and 40 got noisy with QRN.  Mostly search and
pounce as I rarely had a chunk of time to sit and establish a run.

Split is Fun!  Very enjoyable dual receive run session on 40m listening on my
frequency and in the EU phone band which garnered several QSO's.  Also a funny
experience when a stateside op who probably clicked on a spot from a EU station
and called me on 7093, not knowing his rig automatically set up to split, to
tell me "isnt this part of the CW Band?"  I reminded him that I was *LISTENING*
there for EU phone, which is legal outside of our region, but was *TRANSMITTING*
in our Phone band.  Then I reminded him that he was transmitting out of band.
He then realized where he was transmitting and thanked me for the "education".

Usual SSB QRM mess on the bands. CW is so much easier on the ears.  Looking
forward to WPX where I can work stateside too... Lots of stateside callers who
evidently dont read the rules or just dont care... but my antennas are more
optimum for stateside, so its my fault too :)

Intresting to hear K3LR calling in *SPANISH* on 10m.  PJ7G was LOUD everywhere,
worked them on all the bands I had antennas for nice work Marty and crew!

Hopeing my score helps the club, but my heart was really not in it this time.
Maybe next time I will be more serious.

-lu-