[3830] TBDC W1WBB Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wbliss1@cox.net
Subject: [3830] TBDC W1WBB Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 20:27:31 -0800
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: W1WBB
Operator(s): W1WBB
Station: W1WBB

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: RI
Operating Time (hrs): 12:45

Total:  QSOs = 301  Total Score = 1,533

Club: CT RI Contest Group

Comments:

Nice to hang out with the dedicated denizens of Topband for a full evening in a
fave event of mine...just a 'guy' and his radio here.

Less band crowding and many fewer 'assisted' ops in this one really allows you
to dig out the further stations without much QRM or battling spot pile-ups.
Good stuff!

Plans changed mid-week allowing for more chair time this year.  Goal was to
shoot for 300 Q's...barely made it, with a dozen contacts after my S/R getting
me over the hump.

Noise from storms much reduced as compared to recent ARRL 160.  Band was
relatively quiet but long deep QSB persisted throughout.  Sigs were pretty good
to the west and south though, but Eu propagation and activity seemed poor.  TM6M
was an exception, a beacon all eve, and was worked before 2330Z - very early!
Only 11 Eu total worked (all only after 0500Z) as compared to 22 Eu in 2009 SP.
 Additionally, worked 3 Carib, 1 S/A and 1 OC -- 16 total DX...25 DX last year.

Best DX:  KH6LC, then CE1/K7CA, then UX2X.  Found/missed KL7RA too late after
my S/R in DX window, too weak and many callers.  Nice to have N5KO call me near
my S/R for 14 pt Q.  Always an interesting strategy decision whether to run or
S&P near/at local S/R.

Overall activity seemed less than last year...likely combination of poorer
condx, conflict with RAC Winter and 9A events, and holding The Stew *prior to*
Holidays.

Had 41 "10 pt or more" Q's with strong showing from greater Midwest, Rockies
and West Coast...tnx again for pulling out my sigs...I appreciate all the Q's.

Icom IC-737, 3/8 wv inv-L < 40' up & 150' horiz for tx/rx, N1MM logger.

73/Happy Holidays Topbanders!

Bill  W1WBB