[3830] CQWW CW FO8RZ SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, f5phw@free.fr
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW FO8RZ SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 19:47:31 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: FO8RZ
Operator(s): FO8RZ
Station: FO8RZ

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: Tahiti

  160:   10     4        7
   80:  204    20       24
   40:  481    30       64
   20:  779    32       74
   15: 1108    29       68
   10:  107    17       27
------------------------------

Hello guys

What a week-end !!!!

First : ENORMOUS THANKS to my family to let me one more time operate during a
CQ WW DX CW.
I really appreciate this one because, it was the good moment to know what I am
able to do with an exotic call-sign and a better station than last year, not a
contest station but a station who let me have fun.

I have only one radio here, so it is impossible to scan the others bands when
operating in order to find multis, so I was in assisted.

I had a look on solar indices during all week and was sad to see them falling,
fallin falling â?¦ This means for me : 10 meters awful and hope to have a good
15.

I had also some problems with internet connexion ...

I tried to operate 48 hours, but I was too tired and was needed to sleep a
little.
I slept 45 minutes the first night and 90 minutes the seconds.
I made about 90 minutes pause to have dinner and to take showers.
1 hour lost with problems.
15 minutes to work ZL8X on 10-12 RTTY.
So operating time about : 43 hours.
It is very important to have a very good sleep before this contest. I did not
have time to do it.

Equipment:
-       Old FT990 with 500 Hz filter
-       Alpha 76 â??F6BEEâ??s modâ?? 500 watts
-       5 bands spiderbeam up 7 meters close the house.
-       RN3CTâ??s 30 meters inverted L  for 80-160 with 20 radials (length 5 to
15m)

160M
We have a very poor band plan here. We cannot operate below 1830. All DX were
below 1830, and I heard them very well.
Very disappointed about this band.
First night, I had QSO with 2 or 3 stations in the west coast and few ZL.
I sent CQ several times, but nobody spotted me on the cluster, so very very few
QSO.
Second night, we had a lot of heavy tropical rain here. ZL8X in the log easily
(he was above 1830). Sigs from USA were very good.
I was hearing to many stations : NR5M, K3LR â?¦ but all below 1830.
Heard PJ2T sending CQ but he never heard me.
I started to send CQ, had QSO with VE7SV who spotted me on the cluster !
Yesssssssssssssss
3 minutes after, I heard a strange electrical noise outside and saw the SWR
growing very high.
I changed feeder, coax, but it was the same. 160 operation is dead for the
contest and I did not understand why.
I lost about 1 hour and multis and thought about high humidity in the antenna
causing troubles.
After the contest, I found the problem : the antenna is attached to the base of
the coconut tree. With wind, the plastic was damaged and when I transmitted,
there were flash between antenna and coconut tree.
Impossible to see it in the dark.
The size of the coconut tree was not in resonnance with 160 !!! ;-)

80M
The same antenna than 160.
First night, it was good with a terrific pilup.
Second night, I had to reduce the power to 200 watts, so less QSO.
At my SR, it was very interesting to see the openings to east Europe.
The best DX QSO : P33W â?" CR6K â?" GM6Z â?" SN3A â?" UA4LY â?" UZ2M â?"
YU1DX.
Did Not have EA8 or CT3 this time.

40M
I have problems with one neighbour on this band. His TV does not accept power
more than 100 watts. I started to work the first evening with power and had to
reduce after.
Congrats to CR3L, CR6X, CN2R and F8BPN who heard my poor 100 watts !!!
Second evening, the neighbour came back later, this let me working some EU
multis â?¦
Good propagation on this band.
Best DX : 4L8A â?" P33W â?" 9L5VT â?" C5A â?" D4C â?" JT5DX and a lot EU
multis.
Get impressed by number of mults on this band.

20M
Good at SR and SS and poor after. It was good also during the evening. Just
before QRT, it was really good with USA. Sometimes, it is difficult to
understand propagation.
Best DX : 4Z5MU â?" P33W (again !!!) â?" A65BP â?" A73A â?" C5A â?" D4C â?"
J28RO and many EU multis.

15M
Very good ! As usual. A little poor for EU with only 7 multis.

10M
Awful !
I saw on the cluster the good openings for carabeens stations with USA. I have
only AA1K and few stations.
Had some QSO also with JA and carabeens, but not a good band.
Best DX: 9M3IDJ â?" HS0ZEE â?" AH0DX â?" NH2T â?" VR2EH and some carabeens
stations.

I lost a lot of time with my problem on 160 and also when calling CQ CQ CQ
without being spotted. Too many times I had only 1 QSO per 2-3 minutes.

Congrats to AF8M, I saw his score and get really impressed by his activity. I
heard him but it was impossible to break the US/EU wall.

Congrats also to Dave NH2T who made a great job in KH2. Often I hear you Dave
working stations in EU and I canâ??t listen to them.

Congrats to ZL8X with a beautiful sig on all bands.

Thanks to ZL8X, FO5QS, ZK2A for full bands.

This was a marvellous week end with a lot of good operators and DX
Next CQ WW will be with French call without pilup like here.
Thanks  to all who QSO me, thanks to all who spotted me.

Best 73 from Tahiti.

FO8RZ Phil

Sorry for poor english if you can find faults.