[3830] CQWW CW K3TN SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K3TN SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 16:49:27 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K3TN
Operator(s): K3TN
Station: K3TN

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: MD

  160:   27     7       16
   80:  195    15       75
   40:  237    27       78
   20:  292    27       97
   15:  184    23       89
   10:   13     7       10
------------------------------
Total:  948   102      365  Total Score = 1,241,753

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

This was a Skimmer/Reverse Beacon network driven effort with a wimpy station -
Windom OCF dipole at 45' for 10-80 and a 51' T for 160, with a K3 and a 400w
amp and a TS-850 with a 1KW amp.

I decided to go assisted, using the Reverse Beacon skimmer network instead of
the cluster system - wow, was that fun! I wasn't planning on operating much,
but conditions were so good and my RBN-driven S&P rates were so high that I got
sucked in. I usually try to run whenever possible, but in CQ WW even when I can
hold a frequency the rate is usually at best in the 60s for an hour. S&Ping
with the RBN and N1MM I could easily hold last 100 QSO rates (not that 10 QSO
meter) in the 90s. It almost felt like running - just hitting CTRL-UP instead
of F1.

While there were many busted callsigns in the RBN output, it was way less than
the typical cluster error rate and many putouts came before the cluster swarm
arrived. I had one freeze at about 1900 on Saturday but total reliability other
than that. Conditions were phenomenal Saturday am, I missed most of Sunday am
but 15 was open way early even for my low Windom.