[3830] CQWW SSB N1LN M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n1ln@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB N1LN M/2 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 19:12:41 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: N1LN
Operator(s): N1YDU, W4KAZ, KA1ARB, N4GU, AA4FU, N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: NC - 05

  160:  150    14       36
   80:  337    28       85
   40:  589    34      104
   20:  947    36      125
   15: 1049    34      128
   10:  156    17       36
------------------------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

When we started the contest we all thought it was going to be a DX contest.
Well, it did not take us too long to come to the conclusion that we had a good
chance to get a WAS on at least 4 bands.  By the end of the 48 hours we had 305
ZERO point USA Qs in the log.  Yes, perhaps a few would have been good for the
zone mults, but we had those mults by working our Canadian friends. I just
don't understand why so many US stations call US stations.  Oh well, we got
beyond that and started to work the DX and the FQ (Fun Quotient) started to go
up quickly.

Since last year only a few station improvements have been made, but we still
were determined to show improvement on all three metrics, Qs, Mults, and Total
Score.   That we did, however not on every band.  We expected not to get decent
runs on 75 or 160, even with the newly added phased verticals on 160.  We were
unpleasantly surprised that 40 and 20 were difficult also.  Yes, we did have
many decent runs on both of those bands, but not even close to what we had on
15. By entering in M2 with only two stations (no mult station or mult antennas
here) we tried to balance our time between running and adding to the mult
total.  40 and 20 were so crowded that after we caught a few needed mults,
getting a run frequency was not next to impossible, but quite often totally
impossible.  None the less, on we went.

10 meters was just OK on Saturday but on Sunday we did manage to catch a couple
of openings to Africa and the South Pacific but made only 1 EU QSO.  We were
able to increase our Qs and Mults this year.  Must be a few sun spots out
there.

15 meters turned out to be our best performer. An additional 5 element yagi was
added to the mix for 5 x 5 x 3 instead of 5 x 3 x 3 like last year.  Both of the
5s worked well.  The top 5s rotate with the bottom 3 ele fixed on SA.

Now that it is over we can look back and agree that six guys had a fun weekend
together.  Lots of DX was worked.  Lots of good food was eaten.  Yes, there
might even have been some adult beverages consumed.  And there were probably
even a few stories told.  All true of course!

We would like to congratulate the other M2 teams.  Some totally OUTSTANDING
scores have been posted.

Station 1:  K3,  Ten Tec Centurion
Station 2:  K3,  Ameritron AL1500

Antennas:

160m:  2 phased wire verticals, elevated radials
80m: wire vertical, elevated radials
40m: 2 element XM240 at 120' and 65'
20m: 4 element HyGain 204BA at 102', 68', 36' (fixed on SA)
15m: 5 element homebrew at 95', 65', 3 ele at 35' (fixed on SA)
10m: 10 element Log at 104', 4 ele M2 at 70', 3 ele at 35' (fixed on SA)

Beverages: 750'to EU, 750'to JA, 450'W, 450'S, 450'N
K9AY (N, E, S, W)

73,
Bruce - N1LN