[3830] NCCC Sprint KP2M(N7MH) LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NCCC Sprint KP2M(N7MH) LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 10:53:29 -0700
                    NCCC Sprint Ladder - April 30

Call: KP2M
Operator(s): N7MH
Station: KP2M

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: VI
Operating Time (hrs): 0:30

   80:   2      2
   40:  11     11
   20:  12      9
Total:  25     22  Total Score = 550

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

I arranged a trip to KP2 that will allow my XYL to indulge her passion and
compete in a triathlon here this weekend while I play on the radio, staying at
Radio Reef, KP2M.  I hope to participate in some of the contests this weekend -
7QP, NEQP, INQP, ARI.  If I ask for a number from QP participants it is a
consecutive serial number for ARI.

I tried the station in NS just to get the feel of it.  We had a late dinner
with some friends at the east end of the island and made it back with about 3
minutes to spare.  That was just enough time to start up the computer and get
WriteLog going.  I didn't have time to reconfigure the software and cabling for
computer-generated CW so I sent by hand.  Apologies for any QLF on my part.

Signals were loud on 20 here from the east coast and the middle of the country
but I lost several jump balls.  K6VVA and N3ZZ were loudest from CA.  I heard
Mork, K6UFO, from the W6YX station but he continued CQing when I called and
then came back to someone else after the second CQ.

I switched to 40 and seemed to only work stations when I was the only one
calling.  With 9 minutes left I switched to 80 and was able to work a couple W1
stations but nobody else heard me.  With such a poor showing on 80 I didn't even
try 160.  I suspect that on 80 many stations had listening antennas that did not
hear well toward KP2.  I probably should have gone back to 40 but was hearing so
many stations on 80 that I was sure that I'd work more there.

I called N4OGW on all 3 bands and never worked Tor.  He was loud but continued
to CQ.  Most of the other missed jump balls were stations that called me later
for the second half of a couplet or on a different band.

Hope to work some of you this weekend in one of the contests.  Thanks to Brad
WP2B who has set up a great station here and to both Brad and his XYL Donna for
being such helpful hosts for the triathlon.

-Mike, N7MH