[3830] NCQP N5WR/M Mobile LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, erik_martin44@hotmail.com
Subject: [3830] NCQP N5WR/M Mobile LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 20:29:47 -0800
                    North Carolina QSO Party

Call: N5WR/M
Operator(s): N5WR
Station: N5WR/M

Class: Mobile LP
QTH: NC - 14 counties

   15:    3
   10:
--------------------
Total:  621     0  Mults = 58  Total Score = 109,454

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

When I checked the weather the night before the contest, the forecast had
changed with a prediction of up to four inches of snow and freezing rain
possible in some of the mountain counties. So I decided at the last minute to
change my planned route to avoid the highest passes. I-40 and US-64 have been
closed for months between TN and NC due to rockslides, leaving fewer
alternatives. In the end I made it to 14 of my planned 18 counties. There were
some snow flurries early in the day, but road conditions were good and I did
not have any problems traveling.

I tried operating CW while driving for the first time, using my Bencher and a
memory keyer. Generally it worked pretty well and I think it is just as safe as
driving while operating SSB. Doing CW while moving enabled me to me to go to
more counties than I would have been able to otherwise. But it is certainly
harder to have a 'good fist' while driving around a hairpin turn on a narrow
mountain highway in the snow while trying to eat a cheeseburger and shift gears
all at the same time.

I enjoyed the 600 mile drive, my first trip to the Smoky Mountains. Thanks to
all for the QSOs.

73, Erik N5WR

Most QSOs: 13 - K5WE, W0GXQ. 12 - K5LH, N6MU. 11 - KO1U, WB2ABD, N4IG, W4UCZ,
W7GVE, K0PC, KE0G.
Most DX: 8 - UA3AGW. 7- DL3GA. 5 - DL6KVA, OK1KT