[3830] ARRLDX CW W8JI(VE7ZO) SOSB/40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve7zo@hotmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW W8JI(VE7ZO) SOSB/40 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 06:45:06 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W8JI
Operator(s): VE7ZO
Station: W8JI

Class: SOSB/40 HP
QTH: Barnesville, GA
Operating Time (hrs): 48
Radios: SO2R

   40: 2323   119
Total: 2323   119  Total Score = 827,883

Work commitments for NQ4I cancelled our normal multi-multi effort in the ARRL DX
CW contest so Tom W8JI graciously granted my request to operate 40M mono.  The
3/3 rotatable tower stack works very well and the 4 square is nimble in filling
in Q's on the second radio. Additional bonus for me was rig time with N1MM and
K-3's, both of which I'm trying to get more familiar with.

Conditions were solid on both days with EU open until 10:00 z.  JA conditions
were OK and I kept the antenna pointed to the NW on both mornings.  There were
LP openings to the far east in the morning and the afternoon but I left the
antennas on either JA or EU, going for Q's vs. mults.  Blending the stack and
beverages in diversity mode helped reception and the ability to quickly shift
receive to those stations off the primary beam path.

There were many great moments with rare DX Q's but special mention to T6LC who
persisted on the second night after I botched his call on the first evening.
Thanks for all the Q's.

Jim VE7ZO