[3830] TBDC VE6TL Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC VE6TL Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 12:09:51 -0800
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: VE6TL
Operator(s): VE6TL
Station: VE6TL

Class: Single Op HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 7.5

Total:  QSOs = 235  Total Score = 1,041

Club: ALBERTA CLIPPERS

Comments:

This was my first SP contest from home as I managed to rig up my shunt-fed 40'
tower to handle up to 500 watts.  My previous setup allowed for 100W, before I
got my FL-7000 amp, and was insufficient.  Restating the obvious, power makes a
huge difference on this band.

I started at 8AM Saturday morning (1500Z) and managed 30 QSOs before sunrise
shut things down for the daylight hours.  At 4PM (2300Z), I thought I'd give a
listen to see if there was any activity.  Sure enough, the band was hopping!
My biggest problem was with a constant S8-S9 noise.  The delights of city life!
 I'm sure I missed a ton of QSOs because of the noise, but decided to keep on
trying anyway.  I tested out every noise cancellation technique I could think
of with my FT-1000MP.  And I also discovered that there must have been a lot of
RF in the shack as N1MM kept hanging after transmitting.  Doing a "reset radios"
command over the bandmap usually solved the problem quickly.

After a couple hours, I decided to see if I could reach 1,000 points as my
goal.  Slowly, I worked away at it and by 3AM (1000Z) I finally made it!  My
points were about 50-50 S&P and running.  The highlights were when I got my
first DX call, from KH7Y, while running.  This was around 2AM (0900Z).  Then I
was able to work a couple more Hawaii stations, Virgin Islands and one JA!
They had to overcome S9 noise, so the conditions must have been very good.  Now
I know why people stay up all night to work DX on 160m!  I've never been up this
late before on the radio.  Nice to hear a lot of the locals on too.

CU next time.

Jerry VE6TL

Rig:  FT-1000MP
Amp:  FL-7000 (up to 400W)
Ant:  Shunt-fed 40' Tower with TH6 on top
Software:  N1MM