[3830] SS SSB KJ5T(@NX5M) SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, steve.anness@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB KJ5T(@NX5M) SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 08:12:51 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: KJ5T
Operator(s): KJ5T
Station: NX5M

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 23:10

  160:    0
   10:    0

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

WOW!  I think that one word pretty much sums up the experience.  Bob invited me
out to single op this one at his station, I have operated before multi-multi
and multi-single at NX5M but never single op.  It truly was a great test of my
abilities.  In the beginning my rate was a bit slow, 20 meters was extremely
noisy, and I probably spent too much time S&P and trying to find a clear
frequency.  Same on 40.  Though finally I had about a 3 hour run on 40 that was
pretty good though I decided to go down to 80.  I was informed I was probably a
bit too high in the band for contest QSOs, lesson learned.  My rate
dramatically dropped until I shut down at 0834z.

Second day was much better, even though I started 50 minutes later than I had
anticipated that morning.  Started out on 20 which was pretty rough again so I
went down to 15.  I actually was running a pretty steady rate on 15, later in
the contest while switching to 80 I learned that the 80 receive antennas were
on.  Another lesson learned to check that, I can't believe I was making
contacts with about 60db attenuation but if I would have checked that I think
my rate on 15 might have been that much better.

Found a nice cozy spot in the last few hours of the contest on 20 and ran a
pretty nice rate, ended on 80 though rate wasn't that high so I decided to
experiment with "Single Op 2 Radio" by unplugging the headsets and putting the
two keyboards together on the 80 and 40 stations.  Was running on 80 and ended
up picking up several stations on 40 meters.

All in all it was a good contest.  I learned a few new things and think that
overall my skill has been improved.