[3830] TxQP N8II Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n8ii@aol.com
Subject: [3830] TxQP N8II Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 05:50:38 -0700
                    Texas QSO Party

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): 13.7

  160:
   80:   14      0
   40:   37     54
   20:  148    326
  UHF:
----------------------------
Total:  199    380      0  Mults = 182  Total Score = 259,972

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Score includes 15K bonus points spread out over 17 different mobiles worked in
least 5 counties, great mobile showing, many thanks!

The best laid plans... I planned on being ready for the start at 14Z, but my
teenage daughter's written driving test hit a snag when she forgot her glasses
which cost me an extra 45 minute round trip, + longer time there. Rain was
coming soon so add on another 30 minutes to walk the dog. My first QSO was
1550Z. I really wasn't in the mood to operate and would have to say there was a
lull in activity when I started, few stations were heard on 20 CW and phone was
full of SAC phone activity, not TXQP. I was able to run about 1-2 a minute for
15 minutes or so on 20 phone, then it dried up; I almost quit. Activity
improved by around 1645Z, but the SAC traffic/QRM was still a pain. I really
wasn't in a very positive mood, so just ran on 20 phone when I could rather
than S&P a lot for mobiles on CW. By the closing bell Saturday, I had 400 Q's
logged, pretty good considering the late start and taking time off for 2 meals
and a couple of short breaks. 20 stayed open at least to west TX until around
0115Z, but running was slow to nil after 22Z. Condx actually improved around
2330-0100Z. As always, quite a few mobiles called me on phone both days which
added to the score a lot. Many thanks! I managed to work NO5W a total of 28
times in 25 counties just missing a county twice as he crossed into a new one.
I caught Jerry, K5YAA in most of his counties. I was not happy with my CW S&P;
I ended up with 182 counties and should have been close to 200.

Sunday was much easier mentally, but a slow slog with maybe 50 new stations
answering 20 M phone CQ's; I tried running on 40 phone especially when 20 dried
up Saturday evening, but only ran about 20-25 stations.

Thanks for the nice turnout! Lots of casual ops stopped by on 20 and my QSO
total was the best ever in 3 serious tries at TXQP. 20M condx were pretty good
from here. There was plenty of mobile activity, but it was hard to work them on
40 during the day (too weak/QRM) and night. TXQP has the best balance of home
station and mobile activity of any of the state QP's, plenty of both. I
mentioned to Chuck, NO5W post contest that acitivity from Fort Bend Co. was
high with about a dozen Q's as well as Houston and metro Dallas. He gave
presentations in all 3 areas about TXQP. Many thanks for all of your efforts
and all of the mobile Q's!

Mobiles worked by the numbers with primary mode:
    Counties  QSO's Mode
NO5W   25      28    CW
KK5LO  16      17    SSB
K5YAA  13      14    CW
N5UV   13      14    SSB
N5NA   13      13    CW
WW5X   12      14    CW
KE5LQ  11      11    SSB
K0RU   10      13    CW
K5NOT  10      11    SSB
KK5W    8       8    SSB
K5WAF   7       7    CW
KA5GIL  7       7    SSB
KG5U    6       6    CW
N5TM    6       6    CW
KD6HWD  5       5    SSB
WD5BDX  5       5    SSB
KJ5UY   5       5    SSB
Thanks again to you all as well as molbies N3BB, WB9NUL, KU5B, KD5JWC, KB6OJE,
KE5ZQV, WB0TEV!

The conflicts with SAC on 20 phone and especially CQWW RTTY on 40 CW hurt the
activity. There were very few brave souls CQ'ing on 40 CW. The QRM extended
down to 7025 or lower.

Thanks to NARS for sponsoring this event and getting TX hams on the air!

73, Jeff N8II