[3830] TxQP NX5M Multi-Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, nx5m@txcyber.com
Subject: [3830] TxQP NX5M Multi-Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 12:05:56 -0700
                    Texas QSO Party

Call: NX5M
Operator(s): NX5M, KU5B, N5XJ, N5DUW, KJ5T, W5JDG
Station: NX5M

Class: Multi-Op LP
QTH: BURLESON COUNTY, TX

  160:
   80:   65       7
   40:  166     993
   20:  252    1417
   15:   23      56
   10:    2      50
    6:    0       0
    2:    0      17
  UHF:
----------------------------
Total:  508    2540     0  Mults = 256  Total Score = 1,697,124

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

We had planned on not operating the whole time but ended up doing so anyway
although not done to full potential.  What I mean is many times we got up and
walked away from an operating position for an extended period of time.  We even
quit operating on 20ssb for almost an hour as I wanted to give a couple of the
guys here a chance to work the FT5 dxpedition.
We never ran more than about 800w on any band and in some cases only 100w.
40m seemed to be difficult where working mobiles was concerned.  Most were
really weak or just not heard.  Seem they had to be 300 miles out for us to
even hear them.  NO5W was workable with weak copy in one county.....when he
crossed into the next I could not even hear him.
KU5B went mobile in 5 counties at the request of NO5W after someone had to
cancel their mobile plans.  Saturday was my xyl's birthday so I had to go out
for a birthday dinner Saturday evening.  I drove the KU5B mobile so that he
could operate as we went from Burleson to Brazos where I met with the rest of
my family and enjoyed a nice dinner at the Texas Roadhouse.  When it was time
to head back home I hooked up with KU5B again to drive for him while he
operated.
For the first time ever, I worked a mobile in 5 counties on 2m simplex as K5NZ
was traveling from Grimes county to San Antonio.  We ran out of rope just after
he entered Gonzales county some 100+ miles from here.
W5JDG was here to get his first taste of TQP.  He operated mostly 15SSB with a
little 10SSB mixed in.  On Sunday, 15m was open well to New England but there
were very few stations on the air.  My good friend and previous operating
partner N1UR called me on 20cw just after a 15m qso and told me that we were
30-over up there.  W5JDG stayed in the chair, only taking an occasional break
as needed, and from his time here he came to understand what contest-style
operating is all about.  Still a great deal to learn but everyone has to start
somewhere and TQP is a good opportunity to do just that.
The rest of the crew consisted of regulars N5XJ, KJ5T and N5DUW.  We let KJ5T
do 90% of the 20m SSB operating while N5XJ and N5DUW bounced around between the
rest of the bands on SSB and CW.
Thanks once again to Chuck, NO5W for the promotion of this event and to the
rest of the planet for giving out the qsos to all us Texans.