[3830] CQ160 CW W7RH Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, midnight18@cox.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW W7RH Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 22:41:48 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: W7RH
Operator(s): W7RH
Station: W7RH

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: AZ
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 663  State/Prov = 56  Countries = 41  Total Score = 191,866

After missing some of the best conditions during a contest this season for top
band in the CQWWDX due to downed antenna. I braved 12 miles of grueling mud to
make it into my Remote Arizona Ranch location. Antenna and computer issues
caused me to be a couple hours late starting.

My antenna system is tuned primarily for DX operation and is tuned for
1810-1860. During the contest I spent most of my time in the area 1825-1860. I
started off slow, but was hearing LY2IJ early afternoon 2 hours before darkness
and my planned start time. I started with CQ working many state-side when I
realised the band had good propagation to EU. Perhaps I spent way to much time
S&P working DX in that 25kHz area but I was having way too much fun. Working a
few EU during a DX contest with 100W is normal. Working 30-40 is definitely
not! Had I been able to work all that I heard I would have had at least another
30 Countries in the total.

I do not have at this time have any dedicated RX antennas. My receive and
transmit was done on either 4 elements broadside (East_West) or 3 elements
end-fire NE-SE-SW-NW.

Perhaps my most thrilling contacts were OZ1LXJ and GI3OQR who worked me 90
degrees off axis while I was beaming to and working Asia.

The conditions this weekend were the best that I have ever heard in 40 years of
operation on 160 meters. Thanks to all those who worked me in the test! It will
certainly go down as a year to remember in my lifetime.

73

Bob Kile, W7RH