[3830] TBDC EI/W5GN Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, barry@mxg.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC EI/W5GN Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 12:59:54 -0800
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: EI/W5GN
Operator(s): W5GN
Station: EI/W5GN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Co. Clare, Ireland

Total:  QSOs = 172  Total Score = 821

Club: North Texas Contest Club

Comments:

First Time ever in the Stew Perry, using an Inverted L, consisting of feeding
my 43-foot Zero-Five vertical with an added 90 foot semi-horizontal wire from
its tip over to the top of my (broken) 33-foot BigIR vertical, with about 20
radials, and the Zero-Five sitting on a 10 x 20 foot grid of 1/2 inch rebar
spaced 6 inches, on the edge of the bluff over the Atlantic, with one 65 foot
radial dropped over the bluff and into the sea (high tide only!.
With 99 watts, could only work about 3500 miles to the east, no UA9/UA0 or
anything beyond could hear me, although they were good copy here.  Stateside
worked further, but only zone 4 to VE5, VE6 and west couldn't hear me.
Was doing fine, running about 33 per hour, S&Ping about 25 per hour, when the
bottom seemed to drop out at 0130GMT - thereafter no USA nor Canadian could
hear me, and they all seemed to be working only USA/Canada, as I also heard
eu stations calling but not being heard, so I gave up at 2:30am for sleep.
Got last 2 Qs, in EU, during last half hour of the contest.

160 has come a long way since the old power restrictions; in 1971 in the CQ WW
CW as KG4CS, I brought the World-Record to NA from Europe for the first time,
with 75 watts from a modified ART-13, double conversion with a Navy RBD into an
SX-43, and a 1,400 foot long "U" wire, 175 feet at one end, 100 feet at my end,
drooping to 60 feet above the inlet between me and that big AFRS pole.
A total of 161 QSOs, 11 zones, 36 countries.