[3830] CQWW CW KH7B(K4XS) SOSB/40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW KH7B(K4XS) SOSB/40 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 22:14:19 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: KH7B
Operator(s): K4XS
Station: KH7XS

Class: SOSB/40 HP
QTH: BIG ISLAND
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R

   40: 2670    39      126
------------------------------

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Set out to break the Oceanic record for 40. If the claimed score holds after the
log check I may have done it.  We'll see.  The score reflects mental adjustments
for the TO prefixes, which the computer program gagged on.

The first hour of the contest gave me almost a 100 hour, which is really
surprising since the contest starts at 2 PM and the closest land mass is 2500
miles away.  Conditions were like that most of the contest, very good.

Lots of good mults called in including like the Reunion and the C98 guys who
gave double mults.

The contest ended around 8 AM local after I made my last two QSOs which were
two new mults back to back.  The last being VU2.  I did call a few CQs after
that and a loud 9K2 came back but didn't reply after I called him...nuts!

Some thoughts:

After doing this contest seriously on 40 for years from Florida, I can say it
is a very diferent contest from KH6.  The real plus is the W/K stations can be
worked for points, which can give some real nice runs of pretty well behaved
contesters.  Except for the occasional clueless newbie, most of the W/K guys
are well beahved and when you ask for W9, a K3 won't come back.

Pileups out here can be a challenge.  The JA boys are good, but the European
ones are zoos.  I echo other postings about the behavior getting worse in
these.  I would ask for a DJ2 and a HB9 or whatever would come back...not just
once, but over and over.  Copy is  always difficult since most the EU guys
aren't that strong and there is ALWAYS flutter on the sigs.  It may have slowed
my rate down but I'll be damned if some nitwitted lid was going to run my pileup
his way.  The more you let those guys do that you totally lose control of it and
your run disappears.  I would repeatedly call the DJ2 until we completed a QSO,
even if it took a minute or two.  Eventually the lid stopped, and the example
was set for the pileup.

Behavior in the fight for frequency has gotten worse.  QRL has pretty well
disappeared.  Some "?" may be sent...sometimes.  Mostly a CQ announces
someone's presence.  If directly on freq they will usually leave, but if 100 or
200 Hz away, many thought that was acceptable and kept me company.

A station mentioned I had a unique chirp to my signal.  If anyone noticed that
let me know and the K-3 may be going to the hospital.

It's been a fun fall contest season.  Thanks to all for the contest QSOs.