[3830] SS SSB KH7B(K4XS) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB KH7B(K4XS) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 09:27:36 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: KH7B
Operator(s): K4XS
Station: KH7XS

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: KH6
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

That was fun!  My first attempt at SS/SSB from KH6 (unless you count last year's
two hours messing around on 80 meters only).

The goal was to make top ten.  Having operated this contest for over 30 years
from FL I knew pretty much what strategy to use back east, but wasn't really
sure of what to do from out here.  I know what the west coast guys do so I
decided to follow their lead.

Starting on 15, I ran 150 the first hour and was on pace to exceed that in the
second hour when Murphy struck....while I was working a huge pileup, the power
went off around 2235Z.  Not sure when it was going to come back on, I cursed,
swore and generally ranted.  It must have worked, since the power came back on
15 minutes later.  I rebooted the computers and after another 15 minutes
resumed operation.

Once we were in darkness, 40 really screamed out here.  Many of the stations
were PW and it took several tries to get them in the log.

The biggest surprise was Sunday.  Back in FL, Sunday was always a struggle.
Starting Sunday morning I ran 100 hours until almost the end of the contest.

All 80 mults answered CQs for the sweep, which was good since the SO2R setup
was limited to S/P on 80 meters only.  Thanks to all who did call in.  My buddy
Filipe (NP4Z) called in on Sunday morning and gave me his nr 3 for the last
mult.  It's amazing how much easier it is to get a sweep from out here than
back in FL.  All mults, with the exception of VE8/VY1 were worked at least
three times.  I hope it wasn't beginner's luck!

If there is a record for nr 1 QSOs I think I broke it.  My guess is I have
somewhere around 150-200 of them.  The old school teacher in me was in force
this weekend, getting the newbies to give me the 1A, KJ6XYZ, 08, LAX exchange.
Hard work, but it paid off.

Congrats to Dan the man (W7WA) for the high QSO total.  It appears the log
checkers will determine the winner for this one.  I may not fair as well as
usual since many of the guys I worked were VERY weak.  We'll see.

A couple of notes:

Intentional interference was almost non-existant.
SSTV guys are still defensive about 14226-14240.
When guys began CQing on, or near my freq, the were usally very cooperative
about moving.
The K-3 is not just good on CW, It works fine on SSB too.
I could operate on 14275 wihtout the Kalamazoo cuckoo messing with me.

Thanks for the fun weekend.