[3830] CQWW SSB W7MD SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w7md@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB W7MD SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 19:47:52 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: W7MD
Operator(s): W7MD
Station: W7MD

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: Vail, AZ
Operating Time (hrs):

   20:  298    32      104
   15:  153    20       53
   10:
------------------------------

Club: Central Arizona DX Association

Comments:

Rig: FT1000MP Amp: Henry 3K Ultra
Antennas:
20 Meters: M2 5 El Monoband Yagi at 80 feet
15 Meters: Force 12 4BA Multibander stacked above the 20 Meter Yagi at 90 feet
Rotator: M2-Orion
Logging Program: Latest N1MM Logger
Microphone: Heil HM-10
Heil Headset is broken so had to use separate hand mike and headset
which drove me bananas trying to type with one hand and hold the mike in the
other. With the laptop off to one side, I could have made good use of a boom
mike to use Vox.
Started to work only 20 meters but added 15 meters late Sunday morning
when I got sick of the racket on 20 meters.
This was my first contest using N1MM Logger. My laptop locked up a few times
until I put ferrite cores on mouse cable, mic cable, USB to serial convertor
cable and headphone cable.
Observations:
On 20 meters signals over the north pole from Western and Central Europe were
OK. A few Eastern European contest stations had massive signals like back in
the Soviet days. OH8X was present even when no other Europe was heard. I heard
no long path stations from Europe. Propagation was amazingly good with the
Solar Flux as low as it is. Low Solar Flux probably accounted for the absence
of Middle Eastern, Indian Ocean and Southern Asian stations.
I started the 15 meter band late in the contest so I may have missed any
propagation over the North Pole. I heard no European stations on 15. I had a
little run at the end of the contest with a pileup of JAs and some VKs and ZLs.
I was pleasantly surprised by a call from the ham on Wake Island.
Trans-Equatorial propagation was alive and well on 15 and was a lot of fun.
All in all and in spite of the sunspot minimum, the CQ WW SSB Contest was  a
good one in 2008.