[3830] CQWW SSB N1UR SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, sawyered@earthlink.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB N1UR SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 05:53:45 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: N1UR
Operator(s): N1UR
Station: N1UR

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: VT
Operating Time (hrs): 45.25
Radios: SO2R

  160:   38     9       17
   80:  167    15       64
   40:  211    23       77
   20:  712    28      107
   15:  219    20       74
   10:   25     6       11
------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

This was a fun contest.  Conditions were pretty darned good, considering.  160 -
40 were excellent.  For once, the geomagnetic conditions weren't killing me up
here at 44.5deg latitude.

Antennas were all working well, although my 80M array has become narrower
banded now that I have fine tuned it.  I need to do something to improve that.
Other than that everything was working well.

I felt really loud on 40M and I believe that if I could learn how to run better
on that band I could add even another 100 - 150 Qs.  My challenge now is
technique.

I like to do research before a contest.  I research myself, I research others,
I research records.  This year was the best results I have EVER had on 160 - 20
(taking 2000  - 2007 and having personal best by band tracked).  It is also the
best since 2004 for Low Power USA CQ WW on 160 â?? 20 in all band efforts.

Take a look at the single band record USA Low Power numbers for 160 - 20 vs.
this years totals at N1UR (before log checking of course):

USA LP Single Band Record                  N1UR â?? 2008

Band         Q      Z      M               Band        Q        Z     M

160          43      14     32            160           38      9     17
80            179    19    74              80           167     15    64
40            315    28    103             40           211     23    77
20            638    30    112             20           712     28    107

Those are great yardsticks to know when you are doing well or not.  Of course,
some of those records could be broken this year but it does give one a sense
for it.  I have those numbers available to me when I am in the contest, so I
know when it is looking good and when it isn't.

Contest "highlights":

Finally being able to "run" on 40.  Not for long but long enough to prove to
myself it can be done low power and will become even easier next year with the
band changes.

Saying "whoâ??s the PTT station?" while running on 20 and having VU2PTT come
back for an unexpected double mult.  Also nice to have 9L, 5R, 4X, ZS all come
back to me while running Saturday.

Catching THE opening on 10M right as it happened.  I grabbed a few of the Carib
guys literally starting their CQs.  And I was running 20M at 80+ rate at the
same time.  I did abandon the run for about 30 mins to be positive I caught
everything I could on 10.  Some of the Carib stations were hearable for only 5
- 10mins and there was just too much importance on the mults to chance risking
it on the 20M rate at the time.

I also stayed in the chair for a new personal best of 45.25 hours.  I slept for
45 mins in the afternoon Saturday and 2 hours on Sunday from 07Z - 09Z.  That's
it.  Amazingly, the plan was to try 44.5 hours by sleeping for 90 mins twice
and 30 mins once.  The first 30 mins was supposed to be around 08Z Saturday but
I felt okay and there was action happening.

I am looking forward to CQ WW CW.  Back this year at the home station.

73

N1UR