[3830] TxQP N1LN Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n1ln@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] TxQP N1LN Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 16:39:55 -0700
                    Texas QSO Party

Call: N1LN
Operator(s): N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 16.5
Radios: SO2R

  160:    0      0      0
   80:   30      4      0
   40:   88     87      0
   20:  162    243      0
   15:    0      0      0
   10:    0      0      0
    6:    0      0      0
    2:    0      0      0
  UHF:    0      0      0
----------------------------
Total:  280    334      0  Mults = 184  Total Score = 293,472

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Another great TQP has come and gone.  All that is left is the counting for the
participants and the log processing for Chuck, NO5W.   Thanks to all the mobile
Ops and drivers for once again making it a fun 18 hours.  Also, thanks to Chuck
for all his work promoting the event and to NARS for once again sponsoring
TQP.

I would also like to congratulate N4PN for an outstanding SO-OS score.  I had
my eyes on First Place - Single Op - Out of State... but that was not to be.
I was gauging my progress based on Paul's 2007 totals.  I thought it might be
possible when I got ahead of his 2007 totals, but check out his OUTSTANDING
2008 results.  My new goal is second place. :-)

This was my first year to participate with the new antennas all up and
functioning.  I even put up a west beverage specifically for North America
contests that worked great for Texas.  It was really needed on 40 some of the
time and 75/80 all the time.

I started on 40 SSB and 20 CW.  My plan was to S/P on one band and run on the
other, but that was not to happen for about 4 hours.  At the opening gun Texas
was very light copy on 40 but strong on 20.  After a couple hours the
conditions reversed.  Then finally about 18:30 both bands were strong.  It was
all S/P until 18:49 UTC when I finally got a short run going on 20.  I didnâ??t
know at that time, but that was to be the standard for the weekend.  Mostly S/P
and the occasional short 20 - 25 Q run.

With one station on 20 and the other on 40 (using manual tune amps) about 40%
of my Qs were on low power.  I didnâ??t want to take the time to retune when
QSYing from mode to mode.  It worked fairly well for both modes on 20, but on
40 I quickly figured out to run the KW on SSB and run low power on CW.  The
RTTY contest proved to make 40cw almost useless on Saturday evening.  The K3
filters were very good at 50hz and I was able to work many mobile CW Qs through
the RTTY but it was hard going so I decided to move to 75 and 80 with one K3 and
move the other from 20 to 40 SSB.  Then, late on Sunday afternoon 40 seemed to
die off so I thought I would give the K3s a good workout.  I ran one on 20SSB
and the other on 20CW.  My 204BAs are about 140' from the T10 and they were
parallel to each other when pointed at Texas.  I was quite surprised that I had
ZERO interference.

Here are my mobile results.

MOBILES: K5UN (38/26), W0BH (37/24), K5NA (34/24), WW5X (34/20) NO5W (24/20),
KB5U (14/12), W3DYA (14/10), KK5LO (9/9), KE5MS (9/9), N4CD (8/7), N5NA (7/7),
KE5LQ (6/5), NH6WL (5/5), W5JRT (5/5),

Rig:
K3 - AL80
K3 - AL1500