[3830] IARU 4L0A(4L4WW) SO SSB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, gia@4l4ww.com
Subject: [3830] IARU 4L0A(4L4WW) SO SSB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 12:15:03 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: 4L0A
Operator(s): 4L4WW
Station: 4L4WW

Class: SO SSB HP
QTH: Obcha

  160:
   80:          135    10       18
   40:          298    21       33
   20:         1454    36       38
   15:          261    20       22
   10:           32     7        8
-------------------------------------
Total:   0     2180    94      119  Total Score = 1,766,196

First time ever in this contest and completely different experience not to be a
multiplier (that as well first time!). It was worth trying for many reasons
first of all it becomes obvious what skills/experience/tactical moves etc you
are lacking to be competitive though obviously zone 29 is far from being
competitive but nevertheless, absolute majority of us taking part in this and
other contests still having great fun.
I arrived in my village, where the station is located, just one hour prior to
the contest for family reasons and had no chance to install 160m sloping dipole
which was removed a month ago for some repair/new antenna installation works.
20m was ok but mainly for EU, unfortunately propagation was not helping at all
towards US, and I ended with only handful QSOs with NA stations.
10 was poor and 15 was better (though not stabile) in almost any directions but
unfortunately I was not getting enough attention for obvious reasons and being
aside from the main traffic it was hard to keep pace. Whenever beams were
pointing to me signal increases were dramatic.
Looks that with high K index low bands were in a better shape but there I had
hard time to figure out what to on 40m, when I first went there was absolutely
no place to take, the band was fully occupied with HQ stations one after
another and you all know what signals they had. The second time I had more
success and in fact number of NA as well SA and Caribbean stations were showing
pretty good strength of their signals. 80m as well looked ok but.....at one
stage when rate has slowed down I fall asleep for one hour (and that's on my
sunrise!) and if not XYL who noted that there was no QRM coming from next room
I seriously doubt I could escape with only one hour. Moral- take a good rest
prior to the contest (and of course do your antenna work in advance!)
In overall I am happy, some new settings in the stations are working well....a
bit disappointed too that I could add around 300,000 more easily with 160m
antenna and that one hour I missed but that for the next year, hopefully with
less excuses :-)
73!
Gia 4L4WW