[3830] IARU N8II SO Mixed QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n8ii@aol.com
Subject: [3830] IARU N8II SO Mixed QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 05:29:48 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SO Mixed QRP
QTH: WV

  160:    0      0      0       0
   80:    7      4      3       3
   40:   68      0     11      20
   20:  117     41     20      24
   15:   48      9     10      22
   10:    7      0      4       2
-------------------------------------
Total:  247     54     48      71  Total Score = 89,369

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

It would have been not worth any effort without the wonderful sporadic E
openings that provided many hours of 15M openings and 4 hours or so 10M to EU.
I was slow to realize that 15 was open which hurt the score; at 14Z, 20M was
absolutely dead into EU. I heard all parts of EU except LA, SM, OH and UA3-6 on
15M.

Running QRP, you quickly discover how some ops keep the CQ's a running until a
loud signal hits them over the head while others can copy a whisper. When the
rate is slow enough to keep CQ'ing repeatedly, it's time to listen carefully.
Kudos to OL4HQ for hearing me on 75M!

I tried running briefly a few times, but to no avail. With my limited operating
time, it just was counter productive to try and run W's to the west. From a S&P
perspective, most of the activity was from zones 7-8 and the EU HQ stations.
They had enourmous signals compared to most of the few other EU's calling
CQ's.

10 closed around 19Z to EU, but was open again at 2330Z and HQ beacons 9A0HQ,
S50HQ, and TM0HQ were there. 40 sounded pretty good around sunset except to
northern EU, but some stations couldn't hear me. It was even a effort to work
some zone 8's due to other callers.

Operating QRP is both rewarding and frustrating, a bit too frustrating most of
the time at the bottom of the cycle. Biggest thrill was easily working ZD8Z on
20, but couldn't touch him on 15. LZ7HQ wins the award for the poorest
listener, but maybe QRN was part of the problem.