[3830] CQ160 CW OH4XX Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, mikko@oh4xx.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW OH4XX Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 09:22:45 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: OH4XX
Operator(s): OH4XX
Station: OH4XX

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: FINLAND

Total:  QSOs = 328  State/Prov = 4  Countries = 56  Total Score = 106,320

Club: Contest Club Finland

Comments:

I spent an hour and half on friday evening to set up three 160m half slopers
just to see how well they would work on 160 in hectic contest action. Before
CQWW CW I got only one sloper connected and it was not really good performer so
I had some doubts. My tower upper guy wires (@34m) are tuned for 160 so I just
needed to connect feedline between guywire and switch box. Furtunately the WX
was OK so I was able to climb to tower. At 15Z its getting dark in OH but I
used LED spot light after the sun set..

After safely landing first measurement were promising and SWR curve seemed to
be good in all segments of 160. More promising was to see the noticeable
difference between three directions (EU,NA, JA) All direction got better even
the switch box is not equipped with right type of relays. before the contest I
was able to break VR2MY pile up easily so it kind forced to check the band
during the test.

I spent couple of hours of S&P as well tried some runs to see how my set up
works. Some notes; band was packed with huge signals so had to use 250 hz
filters most of the time. W8JI, JA3YBK had loud signals. EU signals were most
of the time 599++. Some DX station pileups were nerve wrecking experience due
some stations just kept calling and calling endlessly. I left few pileups
because of that, I just could not stand it. Well, I guess I need to get use to
it if i'm going to be at 160.. :D

Thanks for the QSOs and cu in next ones.

73 Mikko OH4XX