[3830] NAQP SSB KA1ARB Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB KA1ARB Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 12:38:32 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, SSB

Call: KA1ARB
Operator(s): KA1ARB
Station: KA1ARB

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 8.5

  160:    6     5
   80:  346    37
   40:  122    30
   20:  118    36
   15:   25     9
Total:  617   117  Total Score = 72,189

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team: Team VoxLox

Comments:

This was one of those days that was both painful and fun at the same time.  The
highlights included my best run ever!  I spent 2 hours with very few CQs -
people were calling in as fast as I could work them.  And this was on 80
meters, with S9+ noise plus static crashes.  Lowlights were many mechanical
breakdowns - bad mic cable, bad mic, bad 40 meter dipole, and bad antenna
switch - that were all topped off by our well pump dying just as the contest
began and leaving us with no water.  So far, I have fixed them all but the
water pump.

Even with the high noise, 80 meters was the hot band here.  I never could get
anything going on 15 meters, and I missed much of the daylight operating due to
all the problems.  I milked 20 meters for all I could before it died, but I
didn't get to 40 meters until well after dark.  There were mostly west coasters
by then, and I missed all of the in-close 40 meter mults.  Had a few short runs
on 40, but mostly bounced between 40 and 80, S&P and running.  Loaded up my 80
dipole for a few 160 QSOs and mults.  Several times I had to force myself to
keep at it, and I kept telling myself that I promised Team VoxLox that I'd give
a full effort and I didn't want to let them down.  It felt like going to the gym
- I don't always want to go, but I'm always glad that I did.

Next time, besides having my station and my house working for the contest, I'm
going to hit the low bands a bit before dark to pick up those mults, and I will
make a list of the tougher mults to ask them to move to other bands.

But, all these challenges keep it interesting and fun.  Thanks for all the
QSOs!