[3830] CQWW SSB VP2MDG M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k2dm@att.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB VP2MDG M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 19:46:23 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: VP2MDG
Operator(s): K2DM, K3ZM, W4GKA
Station: VP2MDG

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Montserrat

  160:  164    10       21
   80:  358    18       48
   40:  511    21       78
   20: 1199    25       96
   15: 1929    22       95
   10:  761    17       50
------------------------------

RUN Station:  TS-570SG, Clipperton-L, CL-33 yagi, low dipoles for 40/80/160.
MULT Station:  TS-570DG, 6-BTV.
The Clipperton-L melted down 3 hours into the contest.  We fought through it
for 9 hours until Frankie (VP2MNI) saved us with an AL-572.  W4GKA bore the
brunt of the low-power operating and did an amazing job.

The vertical worked surprisingly well, but you just can't break pileups with
100W to a vertical.  We ran out 13 radials of 55 feet each underneath the
vertical when we installed it.  Within 15 minutes, a herd of goats had tangled
them all.  Luckily, the goats left them alone after we straightened the radials
out.

We had some exciting runs to the states on 15M, and Europe was very productive
on both 15M and 20M.  When the Mult station heard other Carib stations working
the states on 10M Saturday, we moved the Run station to 10M and had an
excellent European run followed by a screaming run to the states.  Happily, I
(K2DM) got to be the op for most of this excitement.

K3ZM worked much of the Saturday night shift, trying to catch up from the
low-power performance on Friday night.  I took over before sunrise on Sunday,
and I hope I wasn't hallucinating when I worked a KH7 and an EA4 on 160M.
While 10M wasn't as productive on Sunday, 20M and 15M were still hot, including
a 265 hour to the states on 15M by K3ZM.  If you didn't work Montserrat this
weekend, you didn't try!

As always, it is so cool to have runs spiced up by old friends and club mates
calling.  Thanks to all!